Thread: How I build a powered tool sharpener.

How I build a powered tool sharpener.

Here’s a link to a document showing how I make a powered tool sharpener. I free-hand sharpen them but a tool-rest could be easily fashioned to work with this.

My primary hobby is wood carving, but have taken up turning to augment them. Since I have sharpened carving tools since 1980, I thought learning to sharpen lathe tools would be easy. I quickly learned it’s a whole different skill set. If you are a turner who may be considering carving as a way to augment your turnings, and looking for a device to sharpen your tools, you may find this of some interest.

https://shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com/projects.html

Capture.JPG
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Looks great. Something I've wanted to make for a long time

That's nice, Dave I would love to make one with 16 or 20 inch wheels so there was almost no hollow to the hollow grind. Mine would not be so portable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    That's nice, Dave I would love to make one with 16 or 20 inch wheels so there was almost no hollow to the hollow grind. Mine would not be so portable though.
    Warren, I would think that in order to get a hollow grind, which is not what I want on a carving tool, one would need a jig and tool rest that would place the tool at the same position on each wheel every time you grind or hone. This sharpener is intended to be used free hand. I think you'd find that creating a hollow grind on this sharpener is something you'd have to try to do. I always end up with a near-flat or convex bevel as most of the contact area is near the cutting edge.
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Keele View Post
    Warren, I would think that in order to get a hollow grind, which is not what I want on a carving tool, one would need a jig and tool rest that would place the tool at the same position on each wheel every time you grind or hone. This sharpener is intended to be used free hand. I think you'd find that creating a hollow grind on this sharpener is something you'd have to try to do. I always end up with a near-flat or convex bevel as most of the contact area is near the cutting edge.
    I have a Tormek for when I need to grind, so yes with a jig I do get a hollow which as you I don't like, hence my wish for a big wheel Grinding is usually a once per tool job for me. Carving tools always seem to need grinding to get a bevel I like and some need thinning here and there. Then I take a little of the hollow out with a bench stone and eventually the hollow is all gone. Now that my Tormek's stone is about 8.5 inches in diameter, the hollow is much more prevalent

It sits most of the time. I do touchups with a bench stone and then a soft cotton buffing wheel and compound.