Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Board wood suggestions?

Cutting Board wood suggestions?

I will be making five cutting boards for Christmas gifts. I am thinking 1" X 18" X 24". I am going to use side grain rather than end grain. I am now considering what woods to use for the glue ups. My intention is to use contrasting woods on each one. My concern is using wood that is either too soft, or that is not appropriate for a cutting board.

Woods I am thinking of using are white oak, hard maple, walnut, osage orange and cheery. Any problems with using these????

Thanks.

On your list, the maple and cherry are the best. White oak and osage orange have a really open grain pattern that I wouldn't prefer. Walnut goes both ways...it's commonly used by many woodworkers for this (including myself) but it's more open pored than maple and cherry.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have made several cutting boards using Cherry, Black Walnut, Maple or Purpleheart and they stand up well to years of use...

CAM00190.jpg Board.jpg CAM00189.jpg

When I want contrasting colors for cutting boards I use maple and cherry.

Maple, Purpleheart, Cherry, Walnut, to name a few

Maple, cherry, walnut, and purple heart for me also.

Red maple (soft) and cherry make my favorite for end grain boards.

Just magnificent work and design, ChrisA!

I'm fond of getting Padauk and Peruvian Walnut into mine. And Maple is a staple for light woods.

Kitchen-Table-Trivet.jpg

The problem I keep getting, is that if I make a really pretty face grain board, my wife is scared to use it. Keeps happening. Driving me nuts. Built one as a going away present for one of my ex-partners for her new house. It's now hanging on the wall. I even gave her a mason jar with butcher block oil/wax to treat it. I'm sure that's in a drawer someplace.

I built these pretty hall tables to put next to the elevator door to help with bringing things between floors, and she doesn't want to put anything on them. Aaaargghhhh!!!
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 05-17-2020 at 9:14 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'm fond of getting Padauk and Peruvian Walnut into mine. And Maple is a staple for light woods.

Kitchen-Table-Trivet.jpg

The problem I keep getting, is that if I make a really pretty face grain board, my wife is scared to use it. Keeps happening. Driving me nuts. Built one as a going away present for one of my ex-partners for her new house. It's now hanging on the wall. I even gave her a mason jar with butcher block oil/wax to treat it. I'm sure that's in a drawer someplace.

I built these pretty hall tables to put next to the elevator door to help with bringing things between floors, and she doesn't want to put anything on them. Aaaargghhhh!!!
    How do you get that piece to look like it's weaved? Very cool.

I had the great idea of making end grain butcher blocks for Christmas presents a few years ago. After I made one for myself, to gauge the level of effort, I gave up on the idea of making a bunch of them. All the tiny pieces, all the glue, ugggg..... Very frustrating thing to make. But now that my friends have seen mine, they keep pestering me to make them one. So I reckon I'll figure out an easier way to glue them up. I used Walnut and Maple to get a contrast. I think I'd rather use something harder that walnut if I do it again though. I'll also use 8/4 instead of 4/4.

P2079023.jpg

P2079022.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    How do you get that piece to look like it's weaved? Very cool.

Here's it in rough form. This should help.

IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Thanks Alan! What wood did you use there?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Thanks Alan! What wood did you use there?
    I'm guessing at this point, but maple, padauk, and Peruvian walnut, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Maple, Purpleheart, Cherry, Walnut, to

That’s some seriously beautiful work!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McMahon View Post
    Woods I am thinking of using are white oak, hard maple, walnut, osage orange and cheery. Any problems with using these????
    Edge-grain White Oak makes an excellent cutting board. I have several.

I'd always wondered if people with nut allergies would have an issue with walnut in salad bowls, cutting boards or anything used in food prep / service.