Thread: A good dose of patience

A good dose of patience

Sometimes I get into a project and wonder, what was I thinking? While holed up at home, I decided to make my son a chess board using whatever I already had on hand. I found some redwood and elm burl veneer and thought, what the heck.

How hard could it be? Cut out 2 1/4” strips, tape them together, then cut 2 1/4” strips cross wise, flip end for end and tape them together. Well as it would turn out, something went awry. When I flipped the strips to make the checker pattern, the corners did not match up. My bad. So ended up removing all the tape, and assembling it square by square. Cut a square, sand it to fit, tape it down. Do a row, take a break. At the moment, 60 down, 4 more to go. And did I mention, burl veneer loves to crack and chip? And yes, there is a little light showing through a few seams that will need some attention.

In the end, it will get glued down to MDF, with a cherry border and probably some inlay stringing. One of those projects that could turn out nice, or a hang on the wall as a reminder of what not to do. If nothing else, a nice distraction for the last week or so.

D40A4608-524B-4B97-9491-85893D0E48D4.jpg 8829570D-A5BB-4278-BDD0-0A4AC311A5E6.jpg

Blog Entries
    That looked like one wild chessboard until my brain kicked in and saw the masking tape for what it was.

Guess it is time for my coffee.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Took me a minute to dial that in! I look forward to seeing it without the tape.

Good start on a Ruhlmann gaming table. You should be done by Christmas.

Looks like a fun project Phil, I am sure your son will like it. Make sure you play some chess matches with him when it is finished!