Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Made in China sentiment

Made in China sentiment

As a retail small business owner, selling a number of high quality made in China products, I’m curious of any changes in consumer sentiment. Given the current pandemic, will made in China products be more of a deal breaker, or the same? Obviously, if you avoided made in China in the past, you will continue to avoid those products. So assuming product quality hasn’t changed, is Made in China now more of a deal breaker to you?

PLEASE don’t get political.

And thank you for your input.

If China is the only place something is made, there is no choice.

We're going to be buying "made in China" for quite some time because a lot of products can't be found "made in the U.S.A." no matter the price. China can make very high quality goods, they have a space program and are buying or partnering with Aerospace companies. I wonder if the biggest beneficiaries of the anti-China atmosphere will be other Asian countries or better yet (from my viewpoint) Central/South American countries.

I feel the idea is of being persuaded in regard to ones buying habits as a result of the whole covid thing and maybe not buying or minimizing buying from China is pretty well third grade.

I think it would be and or is a bit nieve to say the least to think our government wouldn’t do the same exact thing and hasn’t in some way shape or form of various levels some more minor some just as sever since the founding of this country. Under the current administration it is without question we would do exactly the same if we decided it’s what we wanted to do. This veil or image that Merca is the white horse some great moral compass that the world should follow and adhere to is joke. Is there worse than Merca. Well sure but if worse is the tool with which you use to measure I’d say you have identified the crux of the problem.

So nope I’ll be buying from China even though I prefer German made. As I don’t think China is the enemy. Personally I think we are are the makers of our own suffering. Most of the time in life we are the maker of our own problems but just try convincing the average man to own his own poop..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 05-16-2020 at 8:25 AM.

I know a lot of people who say they will not buy products made in China anymore. They may have no choice for awhile. For us "aged" folks, I remember the same sentiment of "Made in Japan", back in the seventies. Cheap products, made cheaply. but would get the job done. Now everyone is going "ape" over Japanese hand tools. What's changed? China does have some quality products at some manufacturers. Remember that most of our power tools that we are fond of are made over there.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Some people will grumble, but as said, there may be no other options. People want cheap.

Yes, we carry some very high quality product from China. I’m happy to get the sense so far, that buying sentiment for made in China isn’t going to change much.

Quality is in the end the most important and quality can be had from anywhere in the world. No one country has a monopoly on that. We live in a global economy at this point and that's not likely to change because, well...humans...also put a lot of emphasis on price when they make purchasing decisions. Further, the business world runs on short term metrics when it comes to profitability. That's why manufacturing has shifted around and will continue to shift around. It's certainly nice to find something that's produced in whatever country we individually call home and supporting domestic manufacturing is a good thing when we have that option. But we may have to be willing to pay a little more for some of those things just because of the economics behind that production.

The folks in China are actually pretty astute. They understood that they couldn't "just produce cheap" and have acted accordingly. Cost of living/labor rates have still enabled favorable pricing, but they kicked up quality big-time for much of what they produce for the world markets just as Japan and Taiwan did before them.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-16-2020 at 9:27 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No. I do not think the current pandemics will change the way people see made in China stuff including the people previously avoided them, like myself.

Actually, it is not a subject I have seem in discussion previously amongst consumers.

I live in Brazil and I maintain strong commercial relationship with people from all other countries in Latin America.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I think there may be a level of avoidance for a little while, in some quarters. But as someone said earlier, availability and cost are big drivers for consumers. Few people are willing to wait long for an item, or to pay significantly more for it.

I'm not angry at china. I absolutely think they should have tried to help everyone else, much sooner. But until/unless it is no-kidding confirmed that this escaped from a weapons lab (etc), Im assuming Wuhan was just the unlucky place it started. (Food for thought - if nature starts the next pandemic in Milwaukee, should everyone boycott American products? Might depend on the circumstances.)

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-17-2020 at 6:53 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

No one other than the extreme militant (who had likely already avoided Chinese products for the last 20 year) is going to shift for any period of time if at all. Quality has zero to do with any of it in the U.S. its price. The home centers and big box retailers have already re-programmed the consumer to accept crappy clothes, fixtures, furniture, hardware, on and on, in lieu of a "perceived" cheaper price. The average consumer today (the day to day consumer) doesnt even know, or have any recollection of, what quality is anymore. My line Ive used a million times is the corporate cronies and the marketeers have done a masterful job of persevering and purging our economy of the vast majority of quality options so now the consumer just thinks its normal to throw your toilet, kitchen sink, dishwasher, clothes, shoes, away every few months/years. They have had their memories purged of things that last. Then add in the massive elevation in our economy to where someone will rip out or dispose of something that is of decent quality and fully functional for the sake of fashion and it gets even deeper.

The Chinese can make to any level we ask them to. Corporate America has sold them down the river forcing them to make crap so corporate profits, executive compensation, and shareholder payouts, can remain high. Corporate America has screwed their own country, AND has in their infinite wisdom forced other nations to painfully learn the mistakes we learned from like you dont locate plating plants and production facilities next to a river because it allows you to flush your plating waste down the river. But they are instructing facilities to do the very things we did to our environment and workforce all in the drive for greed and profit.

My hope, that will go completely unsatisfied, is that the consumer will see that the balance has been lost between corporate greed and a moral compass.

The whole lot of them are the problem the scales are so out of balance and the population, especially as they age and retire, grovel in support for there meager returns on "investment" scurrying around like mice trying to pack the crumbs in their cheeks.

Abandoning China for their position politically would make sense. For being willing to make the crap we demand.. not so much.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-16-2020 at 1:55 PM. Reason: Removed direct political comment...not permitted by TOS

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    We're going to be buying "made in China" for quite some time because a lot of products can't be found "made in the U.S.A." no matter the price. China can make very high quality goods, they have a space program
    Just for fun: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2323/1

And: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2326/1

Ooopsy daisy! You gotta know where to stand when that thing goes off.

They do require some supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Just for fun: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2323/1

And: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2326/1

Ooopsy daisy! You gotta know where to stand when that thing goes off.

They do require some supervision.
    Do we really want to recount our own learning curve? Including a crew burned to a crisp? Another batch strewn in pieces across our own country on re-entry?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    No one other than the extreme militant
    Thanks Jim for at least putting a note in as to who, and why, a portion of the post was edited. Thats a first and is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Do we really want to recount our own learning curve? Including a crew burned to a crisp? Another batch strewn in pieces across our own country on re-entry?
    We have Range Safety Officers. And when ours blow up, they don’t cut the camera feed, and there’s a public investigation.