Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been able to buy disinfecting spray anywhere?

Has anyone been able to buy disinfecting spray anywhere?

I can't seem to find disinfecting spray anywhere. Has anyone else been able to find any? I didn't realize how many disinfectants there are for COVID-19. The state of New York has a many page document listing disinfectants that are supposed to work against COVID-19.

I also didn't realize until today that Formula 409 works to kill viruses. I have about a gallon of Formula 409, but I think that will go quick for a project I have coming up mid summer. I might be able to make up a DIY bleach spray, but that smells so bad. (Maybe bleach smell is good now so people know you are disinfecting.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I can't seem to find disinfecting spray anywhere. Has anyone else been able to find any? I didn't realize how many disinfectants there are for COVID-19. The state of New York has a many page document listing disinfectants that are supposed to work against COVID-19.

I also didn't realize until today that Formula 409 works to kill viruses. I have about a gallon of Formula 409, but I think that will go quick for a project I have coming up mid summer. I might be able to make up a DIY bleach spray, but that smells so bad. (Maybe bleach smell is good now so people know you are disinfecting.)
    It will be very hard to find at this moment. Just like the toilet paper shortage, the supply chain did not anticipate the surge in demand. But just like the toilet paper situation, I would think by mid-summer it will be available. One good thing about the free market is that if there is a lot of demand for a product and not enough supply, it won't be long before additional supply will appear. You won't be waiting long.

The only real way disinfectant makers can make more product short term is if the plants weren't running 24x7 and they could add more shifts. Companies making disinfecting products are also running out of raw materials to make more. I read that some of the disinfecting wipes makers can't get enough containers to package the wipes in.

It was reported after the TP shortage started that a lot of TP plants already run 24 hours a day as that is the only way they can make a profit in normal times. I also read that some TP plants deferred maintenance and so on to keep production running flat out. That is not a great strategy long term as it means future downtime and expense to replace stuff that wore out prematurely from lack of maintenance.

I would suggest if you do decide to purchase a disinfectant to consider taking the following approach

Identify which disinfectants are available in a concentrated(dilutable) form and the name /concentration of the active ingredient
    Decide which product based on concentration and pack size provides the best value for money
    Choose which fragrance of disinfectant you prefer ( I had to choose between floral which smelt like a grandmother or linen and it does make a difference as this will be the background smell )
    Purchase a spray bottle ,it is advisable to choose a better quality bottle for example a plant spray bottle that produces a superior spray pattern or a spray bottle used by professional cleaners
    (You could try to source dilutable disinfectants used by professional cleaners )
    Prepare the diluted product according to the manufactures instructions and clearly label the bottle

By taking this approach of diluting a concentrated product instead of purchasing disinfectant in a spray form I was able to make 20 times the volume for the same price
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-16-2020 at 5:48 AM.

How far are you from a farm supply store that has a lot of dairy customers? I was associated with that business growing up and sanitizers were a popular item. Is Quaternary Ammonia (name/spelling?) still in use? I don't remember that being especially strong smelling. Here's something a quick search brought up:

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chemi...8/web/2020/03?
    Enveloped viruses like SARS-CoV-2—which rely on a protective lipid coating—are the easiest type to deactivate. In contrast with many gastrointestinal viruses like norovirus which have a tough protein shell called a capsid, viruses with this fatty wrapping are relatively vulnerable.

“It’s much more sensitive. It’s sort of a wimpy protective shell,” says virologist Seema Lakdawala of the University of Pittsburgh.

There are a few ways to burst this flimsy shell. Alcohol-based products disintegrate the protective lipids. Quaternary ammonium disinfectants, commonly used in health-care and food-service industries, attack protein and lipid structures, thwarting the pathogen’s typical mode of infection. Bleach and other potent oxidizers swiftly break down a virus’s essential components.

Blog Entries
    I don't see any point in disinfecting more than normal around the home if you don't have visitors stopping by. I found a quart bottle of 70% isoprophol (rubbing) alcohol under the bathroom sink. Put it in a fine spray bottle. Works good for misting keyboards and anything you have been touching (at church for me), plus a spritz on your hands, rub them and you are good to go. I spritz my n95 mask after I come out from the store as soon as I take it off in the car as I do my hands. (Hint, don't put the mask back on until the alcohol flashes off unless you want a quick buzz). Its going to last a long time. Plus I carry a pocket size gel sanitizer with me. It, too, seems to last forever. What the heck to people do with gallons of the stuff?
    NOW you tell me...

We have a few local distilleries making alcohol hand sanitizer that is really just denatured alcohol. Its a sprayable liquid, not a gel, and pretty available in grocery stores. Doesnt smell that good either.

I want disinfecting spray for my little food business I do once a month in the summer. I expect to be able to resume yet this summer. I expect to use a lot of disinfectant spray to constantly be cleaning things like the table at the spots where the food and money are slid through.

Formula 409 will apparently kill COVID-19, but I have read it might take ten minutes to do so. I really don't want the surface wet for ten minutes so I have to look for plan B. My employer got a pallet of liquid disinfectant in five gallon jugs. They use a lot to disinfect a 400,000 square foot manufacturing plant and a large fleet of trucks that are on the road every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    TI read that some of the disinfecting wipes makers can't get enough containers to package the wipes in..
    Yes, there was an article I read on CNN.com not long ago that one of the manufacturers applied for permission to be able to package their disinfectant wipes in soft packages like are commonly used for baby and butt wipes...they can't get the round plastic containers that they historically have been packaging their disinfectant cleaning wipes in in the quantities they need. They have plenty of production capacity for the actual product. It's the packaging that's the problem.

The larger bottles of hand sanitizer from the distileries that Stan mentions could likely also be used for disinfecting surfaces. The one sold at the food market I've been patronizing is only $7 for what is essentially the equivalent of a "fifth of the good stuff"...same bottle. Inexpensive and available in quantities.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-16-2020 at 9:14 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

http://thefittercritter.com/rescue-d...ntrate-gallon/

Veterinary disinfectant. Accelerated hydrogen peroxide.
    We have a couple gallons plus the wipes. (My fiance is a veterinary practice manager.)

I will have to look for sanitizer from a distillery. I have only shopped for groceries at Walmart and Costco in the past two months so I have not been to a traditional grocer to see if they have the liquid sanitizer.

I read somewhere that some distilleries are winding down sanitizer production as the market is getting saturated. I know a lot of people prefer the standard gel type sanitizer, but were buying the liquid type out of necessity.

Most grocery stores and Walmarts around here have had Clorox disinfectant spray on hand since April, other stores have their generic brands too. Outside is our 'disinfecting station'; a bottle of Winco spray w/bleach and a mircrofiber towel--
    winco.jpg
    NOTHING comes into this house without getting 'treated'. Basic mail and some customer parts and cash get Lysol'd. I have a 2x2' sheet of copper on work table in the garage that certain things get set on for at least a day. Aside from ourselves I'm worried for our customers. Just found out yesterday that the anodizing shop I, and many of my customers use, have 3 employees out who've contracted the virus. Which means it's possible the virus has been delivered here...

speaking of Lysol, THAT'S what I can't find, it's still absent from all stores I frequent...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I'll have to check the next time I able to get to Walmart. I just checked Walmart.com and every disinfecting spray is shown as out of stock.

I noticed the other day that Target is not allowing store pickup of disinfecting items. If a store actually shows the item as in stock you have to go there in person to buy.

Fill spray bottle almost to the top with water. Add about a quarter cup of bleach.

You're done.

Spray, let sit for a minute, wipe off.
    Regards,

Tom

One of my vendors sent out an email yesterday stating that they had sanitizing supplies and masks in stock now. A couple weeks ago, president of Kroger was on TV. Said they had no problem getting 55 gallon drums of hand sanitizer. Again, it's the container that's the problem.