Thread: Ramped Shooting Board Runner

Ramped Shooting Board Runner

Out of curiosity, why is the part that holds the work piece on most shooting boards I've seen ramped rather than the section the plane runs on? If the part that the plane runs on were angled down, and the work piece platform level, the plane would intersect the work piece at a downward angle rather than from the bottom corner of the work piece up. I realize in practice the way that most ramped shooting boards are made does not cause the work piece to lift but I'm curious why this became the standard instead of forcing the board back down into it's supporting platform. I guess the shooting board would need to be made taller so the plane would have room to angle down or it would have to be used off the end of the bench. Construction of an angled runner seems like it would be more complicated I guess.

Also, has anyone experimented with attaching an angled block of wood to the side of a normal bench plane to induce a skew cut when used on a shooting board?

Jonathan

I think you put your finger on it - ensuring lateral stability of the plane is paramount.

The advantage of your proposed change is that gravity would work in your favor.

We're taking off such small amounts that the gain in horsepower costs too much in complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I think you put your finger on it - ensuring lateral stability of the plane is paramount.

The advantage of your proposed change is that gravity would work in your favor.

We're taking off such small amounts that the gain in horsepower costs too much in complexity.
    I have a ramped shooting board and a level shooting board, and the apparent difference between the two is virtually zero. The key is a razor sharp blade and as Jim has said, tiny amount of stock removal.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I reserve my LN No. 9 for shooting edges, typically on small stuff. I only use this plane for that purpose, if (for example) I am shooting edges and ends on 1/2-inch thick stuff, since the blade is not skewed then the bottom 1/2-inch of the blade is getting dull in use, and the rest doesn't. When I am lazy I'll take a scrap of 1/2-inch plywood and put it under my work-piece to present a fresh section of the blade to the end/edge I'm shooting. But having a ramp would allow more of a slicing cut as well as utilizing more of the cutting edge and it would therefore last longer. One day I'll build a really nice shooting board, and get a proper skewed plane for it. But until then, the next step is to build a ramped board for what I have. I have considered having an adjustable ramp so that the edge/end being trued up, regardless of thickness or width, utilizes the full sharp edge of the plane.

DC

Blog Entries
    The angle of attack being from the bottom of the workpiece instead of the top always had me wondering.

My recent solution was to purchase a Veritas Shooting Board Plane instead:

Shooting Board Guide Rail.jpg

This is likely better than a sloped ramp or board.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The "skew" from a ramped board (5 degrees) is not the same as the skew imparted from a plane with a skewed blade (20 degrees). The ramped board skew is enough to add a slight altering of the entry to the cut to reduce the full impact.

My rule is planes with square mouths benefit from a ramped board ...

... while planes with skewed blades can be used on either ramped or flat boards ...

The importance of the side fence is dependent on the plane used. It is critical when using a plane with a rear-positioned handle since this type of plane is "rudderless". Hence the orignal Stanley #51/52 combination ...

... and why I added one to a wooden shooting board once I began using this type of plane ...

It was not critical when the plane was held at the front and simultaneously guided to the side of the platform ...

Overall, the side fence makes it easier to push the plane against the platform, and just focus your attention on pushing the plane against the work piece.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-12-2020 at 2:31 AM.