Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Router Sled Kit

Lee Valley Router Sled Kit

I received a Lee Valley Spring 2020 catalog in the mail to day. One thing that caught my eye was the Router Sled Kit ($69.50) for flattening a slab. I don't work with slabs so I don't need this kit, but I thought it was a ingenious idea at a very reasonable price.

I'm impressed that Lee Valley does these kind of products.

Mike

15K0701-router-sled-hardware-kit-u-0321.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I 2nd your thought...
    LV is really utilizing CAD, CNC machines and intelligent sourcing of bits n pieces to design / build / deliver useful and cost effective products for the ww community....
    Kudos to Rob Lee! Keep up the great work.
    I also love the recent release of the router plane accessories and email blast offering users tips on use. I just got my order of the box and of course, some additional accessories

I saw this and was impressed, too. I just finished flattening my workbench using a shop-built router sled, and building the jig/sled was painful. I would have never thought to use EMT for the "rails", and those U-bolt bearings are neat.

That really is a clever adaptation to what is an essential tool for folks who work with slabs and other similar large constructions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wonder if you could add some stops and use it to cut dados or inlays also?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Wonder if you could add some stops and use it to cut dados or inlays also?
    It's very likely that with a little creativity, you can do interesting things like that.
    --

I saw that too, and was immediately concerned about sagging and bouncing on those rails. They're not part of the kit, but Lee Valley suggests that they be EMT. The long rails in the pic look to be 8' long by maybe 1" diameter. With only a little pressure I can bend that stuff an eighth inch. So you're not going to get a flat face.

1 1/2 inch EMT

Not exactly portable they20200516_133816_resized.jpg are very stiff, 2" diam with 1/4 wall thickness by 72" long steel tube. I bought them years ago to build a panel router. Wondering what to do with them now.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I saw that too, and was immediately concerned about sagging and bouncing on those rails. They're not part of the kit, but Lee Valley suggests that they be EMT. The long rails in the pic look to be 8' long by maybe 1" diameter. With only a little pressure I can bend that stuff an eighth inch. So you're not going to get a flat face.
    Perhaps a closer read was in order. The kits is sized for 1-1/2" EMT.

You are not going to bend or flex that in your hand !

Plus, Lee Valley isn't in the habit of turning out trendy junk that guys collect and don't use. I'm sure this was tested and retested before being put in the catalog.

An interesting solution for the price. Lately it seems like LV has recently discovered a CNC router. They've been pumping out simple but creative CNC'd products out of plywood like these left and right.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

out of stock, earliest available July 31st,
    ordered one
    what bit in 1/2" shank is recommended by people on here? will be used with a PC 690, not a lot of use planned and will not be in a hurry when using it
    thanks in advance
    Ron

Blog Entries
    I am surprised that Rob Lee has not commented.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Perhaps a closer read was in order. The kits is sized for 1-1/2" EMT.

You are not going to bend or flex that in your hand !

Plus, Lee Valley isn't in the habit of turning out trendy junk that guys collect and don't use. I'm sure this was tested and retested before being put in the catalog.
    Yeah. Lee Valley generally is a reliable supplier. However, I braved a big box store today to find an eight foot piece of 1 1/2" EMT today. It didn't take a lot of force to flex the middle by an eighth of an inch or so. The issue for this face jointer technique is that you don't want the router bit to bounce up and down, because you have to sand a bunch to take out the gouging. In my use of shop-built rigs, bouncing can happen from changing how I'm holding the router, or how much weight I'm putting on it, or from changing direction (pushing or pulling). It also can happen from running into a knot or a board edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    out of stock, earliest available July 31st,
    ordered one
    what bit in 1/2" shank is recommended by people on here? will be used with a PC 690, not a lot of use planned and will not be in a hurry when using it
    thanks in advance
    Ron
    PC690 is a little light for this application relative to power. That said, to your specific question, I like the Amana insert tooling for this kind of application and you shuold be able to swing something like the 1.25" one that I own.
    --