Thread: Grex 2" sander

Grex 2" sander

Does anybody here besides me use the Grex 2" air sander? I was using mine when the 2" pad disintegrated. I can order a direct Grex replacement for $12 or for $15 I can order a package of 5 from the company that makes the pads but I need to know the thread size on the shaft of the pad. Does anybody know the size thread on the Grex pads?

Thanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Cant answer your question directly but could you take the sander to a hardware store and try out different size screws? I have done that in the past for other tools.

Thread Pitch Gauge
    I need to get one as well.....so I can answer my own questions about thread sizes for screws I keep trying to find.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    Cant answer your question directly but could you take the sander to a hardware store and try out different size screws? I have done that in the past for other tools.
    Chris, yeah I had thought about that as well but I really didn't want to get cleaned up at this time, drive to the hardware store, put my mask on and go in. The Grex air sander was pretty popular a decade or more ago and I was hoping someone would have the information so I could not have to make the trip.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Does anybody here besides me use the Grex 2" air sander? I was using mine when the 2" pad disintegrated. I can order a direct Grex replacement for $12 or for $15 I can order a package of 5 from the company that makes the pads but I need to know the thread size on the shaft of the pad. Does anybody know the size thread on the Grex pads?

Thanks!
    Ken,

This one?

grex_ROS.jpg

I have two of them and use them often. I can measure the thread the next time get down to the shop, probably sometime this afternoon or evening.

Never had a pad come apart.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ken,

This one?

grex_ROS.jpg

I have two of them and use them often. I can measure the thread the next time get down to the shop, probably sometime this afternoon or evening.

Never had a pad come apart.

JKJ
    John, that's the one.

I was sanding a routed recess in a drawer bottom when the yellow pad just disintegrated/crumbled.

I already ordered a replacement from Grex.

The next time I go to the hardware store, I will take the old one with me and measure the thread size. I'll probably order the others just in case.
    Ken

1/4 x 20

The threads on mine are 1/4"x20tpi. If you still have the instruction sheet, check, mine says Spindle Thread: 1/4 x 20

If you don't have them, you might also consider getting the two-piece extension shaft set. I have used it several times with the 1" pads to get in deep to sand the bottom of a woodturning.

JKJ

John, that's the one.

I was sanding a routed recess in a drawer bottom when the yellow pad just disintegrated/crumbled.

I already ordered a replacement from Grex.

The next time I go to the hardware store, I will take the old one with me and measure the thread size. I'll probably order the others just in case.

Thanks John!

I don't have the information sheet any more.
    Ken

Thanks John!
    I don't have the information sheet any more.
    You're welcome! I'll bet they are all the same. I couldn't find a copy of the info sheet online but I did find this spec sheet on the Grex web site: http://grexusa.com/grexusa/products....&section=specs

BTW, woodturner Rudy Lopez is who got me started on these little sanders some years ago. He warned to put the sanding pad in contact with the wood before pressing the trigger, he said that would keep it from spinning up to a very high speed. He didn't say what would happen if it did spin up first but I've tried to do that - I wonder if spinning up first might apply a shock force to the pad and reduce it's life.

The only think I don't like about this sander is the lack of a max speed control. Another pneumatic ROS I have (a palm sander) has a valve lever to let me set the maximum power so I can press the control fully and still sand with very gentle action. I'm thinking about adding either and adjustable physical trigger stop or an inline valve to limit the air volume. I almost always use these sanders at a slow speed for woodturning.

JKJ

I made up a couple little inline regulators like this; handy when you need lower pressure/flow for an application.

IMG_2127.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I made up a couple little inline regulators like this; handy when you need lower pressure/flow for an application.

IMG_2127.jpeg
    Ha, didn't think of that. I have two of those in my drawer, bought for less than cheap at a club auction! I'll try it, thanks!

JKJ

A little late, but Vince has pretty good pricing. http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/?s=Grex