Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poplar doors. Laminated or solid?

I like to rip my rails in half, flip one half, then glue the two haves back together. This perfectly cancels out any bows. I actually use this to straighten badly bowed boards and it works every time.

Personally I find poplar to soft for doors and face frames.

I like solid and like was already said if you mill it and leave it a couple days and it didn’t move your good.

People use it and it’s fine but it dents to easy for me.

Is a dream to work with even in comparison to soft maple. But even soft maple is much harder and thus resistant to the abuse a door gets.

I understand like 90% of commercial high end doors going into custom homes are skinned with MDF and it’s much softer than even polar. But I’m of the opinion it’s all kinda crap..

Poplar is a good alternative to pine, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Stop playing with me Jim

Don’t get me started on pine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Poplar is a good alternative to pine, however...

I have to say that the clear white pine I recently used for those locker doors for a client was actually a pleasure to work with. But I'm with you on "pine in general"...not my favorite thing. I have worked with a lot of tulip poplar, however, because about 3000 bd ft of it was milled on my property when the septic system went in after we purchased the property. The price was right!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm with Patrick. Poplar is softer than vacuum cleaners. Dave

old guy said 1000 things one was "pine is a thankless wood" still there is likely lots of nice old furniture built in it with lots of character to it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I'm with Patrick. Poplar is softer than vacuum cleaners. Dave
    The same could be said about most paint grade doors or trim for that matter

The North Eastern white pine is terrific stuff and was the first choice for many. It was "imported" into the South. Holds
    up outdoors better than most other pines and works beautifully. Stable. Was often used ,especially for sash. The worst
    pine I've used was called "Idaho white pine", soft and fuzzy. I don't know how well it does out doors.