Thread: More benchdogs

More benchdogs

I was to tire out a few small pieces of Massaranduba when suddenly I thought why not to try to use it to make a few benchdogs as I had seem somewhere (I cannot remember where) a couple of years ago? Well, I made them in a short project, less than a couple of hours yesterday afternoon between two teleconferences.

Wood is Massaranduba and hardware is 8 mm bullet latches. I used table saw and router. I had to use scrapper to fine tuning their sizes to my benchtop holes. LinseedŽed.

20200515_144302.jpg

They work great!
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Thanks for showing these to us Osvaldo. I have never seen that kind of wood. It looks very hard.
    I like the idea of taking a woodworking break between tasks at work. I think I will follow your example and do so myself.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Making your own bench dogs is rewarding in many ways. Here is an old post on making mine > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?207672

Pop Up Dog.jpg

Other members offered their dog ideas.

My preference is for the bullet catch to be on the same side as the cut out and closer to the top. Part of this is it helps me set up my holding with a vise that racks. The other reason is so they do not drop out when using them with a saw bench were the top isn't as thick as my bench top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Making your own bench dogs is rewarding in many ways. Here is an old post on making mine > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?207672

Pop Up Dog.jpg

Other members offered their dog ideas.

My preference is for the bullet catch to be on the same side as the cut out and closer to the top. Part of this is it helps me set up my holding with a vise that racks. The other reason is so they do not drop out when using them with a saw bench were the top isn't as thick as my bench top.

jtk
    Thanks for the feedback.

After to make mine I got the same conclusion on the bullet positioning than you. Although back middle is functional, top front is better as avoid some little spring effect when pushing the work piece against it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

After to make mine I got the same conclusion on the bullet positioning than you. Although back middle is functional, top front is better as avoid some little spring effect when pushing the work piece against it.
    My first few were also on the backside.

We live, we make things, we learn, we go on.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thumbs up Corrected!

[...]

We live, we make things, we learn, we go on.

jtk
    Corrected. Much better.

20200516_130423.jpg

Thanks again.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Blog Entries
    Bench dogs can be addictive. Soon you will likely want one for each dog hole.

That is a very nice looking wood.

jtk

Bench dogs can be addictive. Soon you will likely want one for each dog hole.

That is a very nice looking wood.

jtk

Cheaper by the dozen:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Cheaper by the dozen:
    That must be a 'woodworker's dozen.'

jtk

Its gratifying to know that someone took the time to count them, let alone look at the picture!

That must be a 'woodworker's dozen.'

jtk