Thread: Green Red Cedar

Green Red Cedar

If anyone is interested in trying a different process here's one that I find most interesting.

Shou Sugi Ban is apparently a Japanese method where wood is charred and the char removed to add to it's longevity.
    I turned this Red Cedar log when wet, not green, left the walls thick so they wouldn't burn right through, burnt, brushed and cleaned with scotch bright in a revolving tool then dyed and finished the piece.

It is wonderful in the hand the grain gives it a fantastic texture. Face grain produces the most, in my opinion, interesting grain pattens and the more there is the better thus the reason to turn the log with the pith in it. I did put quite a lot of CA both inside and outside on the remaining pith.

IMG_0971.jpgIMG_0987.jpg
    I didn't realize how much of the char would stick to me when I did the Scotch Bright treatment and had forgotten to wear a respirator as you can see from this photo. I now wear a face shield AND a respirator and when possible do the cleaning outdoors.
    IMG_0866.jpeg
    When using a Dremel with a right hand the tool spins towards you so I did wind up using it in my left hand which helps but if one has a reversible Fordom that would be great. I am in the process of McGivering a clockwise spinning fan motor and Dremel flex shaft so the cleanup process will be a little easier in the future.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I really like that piece! But it does appear that you need to wear breathing protection the next time.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

LOL. IMG_0869.jpg
    In addition I have added a hood for my vacuum down draft table as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I really like that piece! But it does appear that you need to wear breathing protection the next time.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Nice! Looks like raku woodturning.

Looks like the whole process makes quite the mess but the end results are stunning! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!