Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For all the hollow grinders (and anyone else) out there

Rehab Chisel, 1.5 in. wide.JPG
    Handyman No.1251. Single flat bevel....can be used to shave with..
    Rehab Chisel, flat back.JPG
    Back is flat. Honed to 2500 grit, and then stropped on just plain leather ( well worn..) I do have a nice bare patch on my left forearm, BTW.

YMMV

To my way of thinking crowning a wheel might provide the advantage of a smaller working area on the stone and less to worry about/control but it's akin to choking up on a hammer handle - you're giving up on the full potential of the tool. I bought a surface grinder years ago to get the tolerances I needed on some metal projects. With that grinder came a tonne of research and the metalworking industry was only too glad to tell all! Admittedly the surface grinder works a bit differently than a bench grinder but if you feed into the same side of the wheel every time the benefits of a flat wheel are real. The wheel breaks down first on the feed side creating clearance (subtle I know), the far side of the wheel stays sharp the longest and is the last surface to touch the tooling giving you the best results.

I made a couple of different set ups so that I could hollow and flat grind plane blades on the surface grinder and they came out really nicely but good technique on the bench grinder is faster and it is in the woodshop, not down the road in the metal shop.

There is so much great sharpening information to be had in the metalworking world that we can apply to our WWKg tools. Anything relating to HSS is 100% applicable to us woodworkers.

Regardless, as long as we end up with sharp tools as fast as possible in our respective shops we're in the game.