Thread: Ideas for large capacity crosscut sled

Ideas for large capacity crosscut sled

I built a crosscut sled many years ago that could handle pieces up to about 30", mostly for some cabinetry I was doing. I pulled it out this week to work on a desktop that is WAY overdue, only to find it had been banged around the shop too much to give me true 90deg cuts on large pieces. Unfortunately, the way I built it, I don't have a good way of adjusting it back to 90. So, that of course means it's time to build a new one. I haven't googled too much yet to see what the latest plans are, but wanted to check here for some direction/suggestions. I'm curious to see if there are metal fences available that are milled flat for something like this. One issue I've had is keeping my old fence flat (made of red oak I had laying around). I would also like to figure out a way to make the fence somewhat easily adjustable, yet solid (I know those things are diametrically opposed). One other question - does anyone make miter bars longer than the 36" one from Rockler? My thought is to have the extending further than the back of the sled for when I have it hanging off the table for large pieces.

I greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/links/pics you may have.
    Last edited by Clark Harbaugh; 05-14-2020 at 8:25 PM.
    Clark Harbaugh

Take a look at William Ng's video on youtube; lot of good advice there. If you search for the 5-cut method of squaring a table saw sled you will find it.

He makes his fence out of 3 layers of laminated BB plywood; good advice if you don't want to be fighting wood movement.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Here are some 48" T-tracks you can use in the miter slots for your gonzo sled:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DB45LLY...ing=UTF8&psc=1

These are good quality. I've bought a few pairs in the past couple of years. They are true to size and straight.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I watched William Ng's video, reworked my runners and then readjusted the fence using the 5 cut method and am extatic with the results! The 5th cut piece was only out .0003" over 22.5" after the adjustments. This thing has never been so true. I had to then create a safe storage spot so the sled wouldn't get knocked around my garage like before.

Good to hear! I love watching Ng. Not only does he know his stuff and explains it well, but he throws in little dry humorous asides that crack me up.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

[QUOTE=Clark Harbaugh;3020954 I had to then create a safe storage spot so the sled wouldn't get knocked around my garage like before.[/QUOTE]

If space allows, try hanging sled from the ceiling. This way nothing gets piled upon it. DAMHIK

The designs are all over the map. Ng’s sled is quite simple and the fence is replaceable.

Add some complexity by adding TTrack to the front fence. Add some more complexity with flip down stops. Make it sustainable by adding a 1/4 mdf insert dadoed into the base and front fence so when you mess up the kerf, it is restorable to zero clearance insert. Trick it out even more with more TTrack on the base for hold downs. Add a removable miter fence for 45 degree cuts. Add a removable finger joint jig.

I built one so big and complex that I dread getting it down and using it. For large sheet goods I’ll use a home made tracksaw. I have a little small one that I use constantly for small cutoffs as it is safer than my miter saw
    Regards,

Tom