Thread: Ideas for large capacity crosscut sled

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ideas for large capacity crosscut sled

I built a crosscut sled many years ago that could handle pieces up to about 30", mostly for some cabinetry I was doing. I pulled it out this week to work on a desktop that is WAY overdue, only to find it had been banged around the shop too much to give me true 90deg cuts on large pieces. Unfortunately, the way I built it, I don't have a good way of adjusting it back to 90. So, that of course means it's time to build a new one. I haven't googled too much yet to see what the latest plans are, but wanted to check here for some direction/suggestions. I'm curious to see if there are metal fences available that are milled flat for something like this. One issue I've had is keeping my old fence flat (made of red oak I had laying around). I would also like to figure out a way to make the fence somewhat easily adjustable, yet solid (I know those things are diametrically opposed). One other question - does anyone make miter bars longer than the 36" one from Rockler? My thought is to have the extending further than the back of the sled for when I have it hanging off the table for large pieces.

I greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/links/pics you may have.
    Last edited by Clark Harbaugh; 05-14-2020 at 8:25 PM.
    Clark Harbaugh