Thread: Mobile Base for 15" Planer

Mobile Base for 15" Planer

Hello,

I rehabbed a Jet 15" planer a few years ago, installed a Shelix cutterhead, and finally made the adjustments to get decent results. I love the machine, but the built-in mobile base is not very good. I plant to get a new add-on mobile base and was looking to hear any recommendations on how others get a 400 pound machine onto the assembled mobile base without the use of a forklift or an overhead lifting mechanism. Thanks!

Srece

I would recommend the Bora Portmate PM3550 (corrected) or 2500. The PM3550 has 4 swivel castors, where as the PM2500 has two fixed and two swivel.

Getting it on, my way, I'd get some 2x4's, set down like a couple of rails, lift one end on the planer and shimmy it up onto the 2 x 4's. If you need to go a little higher, repeat shimmying up onto a double set of 2x4's. then you should be able to put the portamate base next to the 2x4 rails and shimmy it back into the base. A piece os 3/4" plywood, in the base, makes this easy.

This is a video, rom my security camera, of me getting my Hammer F3 (600lbs) off the delivery pallet into the base. I'm 63 and 160lbs.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 05-15-2020 at 1:45 PM.

Toe jack and cribbing.
    Bil lD

I agree with Chris about the Bora mobile base...they are very nice for the money. I'm kinda liking multiples of the company's products...I have their miter saw stand up in my lumber storage area and own two of their Centipede portable support thingies. Very nice quality for the money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built my own for the 15" planer in my garage. 2x6 frame with 3/4 plywood top. Four 500lb locking casters and away I went.

Got it on there by myself as well. Probably better to get three buddies to help lift as recreate my adventure.

Actually, the Bora Portamate PM-3500 has two fixed wheels and two swivel wheels. The PM-3550 has four swivel wheels. Both have the same 1500 lb weight capacity, while the -2500 (two swivel wheels) can handle 650 lbs.

I have a PM-3550 ready to use under my incoming Felder/Hammer A3-41, which will arrive at the US warehouse on or about May 25th! TBD on delivery to my house.

The Felder folks recommended this mobile base instead of their own mobility kit, which has two fixed wheels and a single, removable, swivel wheel, such that it can only roll broadside and pivot. I need it to roll lengthwise too in my garage shop.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I was slowly outfitting my shop with mobile bases starting with the lighter tools first. I then broke down and bought a Harbor Freight 2 ton folding engine lift. The front legs fold down in a V like shape. I modified them so they are parallel to each other when folded down so I could slide easily around a piece of equipment I wanted to lift up. What I didn't realize at the time is that the lift was a great way to move equipment too. I lift up the tool, put 2x4s across the legs and lower the tool down onto them. When i get to where I want it I just lift it up, remove the boards, and set it down. It's slightly slower than if each one had it's own mobile base but because they are sitting on their normal base they tend to feel solider.