Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding a set of wood augers for hand brace

Finding a set of wood augers for hand brace

I have an old hand brace that I would like to start using more often. It seems that wood auger sets with fine thread lead screws are somewhat hard to find at affordable prices. I can't spend $40 for a single auger bit, but I'm willing to spend twice that for a small set. Irwin makes, or used to make a set of bits that are compatible with the chuck on a hand brace but they aren't available from the big river or elsewhere I've looked. I may have to start piecing a set together from ebay.

In the meantime, I thought I'd risk getting laughed at and ask if anyone has tried using this set from HF with a hand brace?

https://www.harborfreight.com/auger-...-pc-68166.html

Those appear to have a fine thread lead screw which is important for working with harder woods.

Any other recommendations for an affordable set of auger bits?

You have a Jacobs chuck on a hand brace? Those bits are made for 3 jaws, the 2 in a hand brace won't grip it well at all. eBay looks like a darned good place to start. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Aug...QAAOSwLN5eueOC
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 05-14-2020 at 4:43 PM.

You may want to ask about this in Neanderthal Haven section of Sawmill Creek (it's where the Neanderthals...I mean hand tool woodworkers hang out). There was a recent discussion about this. One possibility is the Wood Owl Auger bits available from Lee Valley. I just ordered a set, which hasn't arrived, so I can't tell you anything first hand. Derek Cohen, one of the Australian handtool gurus who is on the board, has had good results with them. One thing would be to know what type of Chuck your brace has, and what is compatible. The Neanders can help a bit with that. The other question is what sizes do you need? You probably don't need a full set at the outset. Also watch out for bits in the used market where folks have sawn off the tang to be able to chuck it up in a power drill.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Walker View Post
    I have an old hand brace that I would like to start using more often. It seems that wood auger sets with fine thread lead screws are somewhat hard to find at affordable prices. I can't spend $40 for a single auger bit, but I'm willing to spend twice that for a small set. Irwin makes, or used to make a set of bits that are compatible with the chuck on a hand brace but they aren't available from the big river or elsewhere I've looked. I may have to start piecing a set together from ebay.

In the meantime, I thought I'd risk getting laughed at and ask if anyone has tried using this set from HF with a hand brace?

https://www.harborfreight.com/auger-...-pc-68166.html

Those appear to have a fine thread lead screw which is important for working with harder woods.

Any other recommendations for an affordable set of auger bits?
    Curt, I like augers for larger diameter holes and this can be tough in hard wood. One ends up using a lot of down force to get the lead scew to bite.

While this may sound extra work, if you first drill a pilot hole, the lead screw will have no difficulty pulling itself through the wood. The fineness of the thread is then also irrelevant.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Aside from asking this same question in the Neanderthal annex of the forum, check out ebay for Russell Jennings or Irwin pattern sets. Some can be found in like new condition for reasonable $$. The classified sections of this forum and other WW forums often have great deals on these sets.

Blog Entries
    I asked the same question not long ago. I went with the WoodOwl augers and they have been good. I have only used the 1/4 inch and the 1/2 thus far.
    Reason for going moder. Was the uncertainty of vintage and sharpen needs.

The wood owls are outstanding and the ones I have chosen to use, but they are pricey: very pricey. I only needed two sizes (so far), but I'd think a set of these would be prohibitively expensive.

If you’re ok with vintage, you might check out Patrick Leach’s monthly tool list. I bought a set from him and they work well. Might need to get an auger file and touch them up a bit, but it’s something you will need to do sooner or later anyway.

I find them by the coffee can full at yard sales, and antique stores....

I have some auger bits that I'll sell you for a good price. Become a contributor and then PM me. They're not a complete set - I think the 7 and the 13 are missing.

They're my second set and I don't really need them. They're fine thread.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-15-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like Mike has a good solution.

You may want to look at > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238 <

If you become a contributor you will be able to see the images.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Grandpaslittlefarm.com sells auger bits. I don't know if they only carry either the fine or coarse thread models only , or both, but they sell sets of older bits.
    David

I remember hunting for auger bits when I got a hand brace. Finding a complete set with all the bits in good condition was extremely difficult unless I wanted to spend stupid money. However, I found that getting a half set all in very good shape was very easy and the cost per bit was considerably lower. Of all the millions of holes I’ve drilled, I’ve never once cursed because I didn’t have the in-between sizes. When I say half set I mean 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 16.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    I remember hunting for auger bits when I got a hand brace. Finding a complete set with all the bits in good condition was extremely difficult unless I wanted to spend stupid money. However, I found that getting a half set all in very good shape was very easy and the cost per bit was considerably lower. Of all the millions of holes I’ve drilled, I’ve never once cursed because I didn’t have the in-between sizes. When I say half set I mean 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 16.
    Even when you pay "stupid money" for a set you may find a bit or two has been abused. Over the years a couple of full sets of Irwin and Russel Jennings sets have been put together. This was done by buying one starter set of no name auger bits that came with a Stanley #984 corner brace for $20 + shipping.

Stanley #984.jpg

Since then buying various bits and collections at low prices on ebay has not only provided the two afore mentioned fine sets, it has also provided me with a lot of decent bits that are used for drilling into unknown wood and trees.

It has also provided a lot of longer bits and accurately sized bits for dowelling.

When bits are found at yard/garage/estate sales at a decent price, they tend to come home with me.

At least my tendency to purchase any brace that crosses my path has been abated.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-15-2020 at 4:06 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    I don't know what stupid money is. I got a complete set of Irwins in the box years ago for under $100. Looking at the sold listings on Ebay it looks like you can still get them in that range with a little patience.