Thread: MDF Burning

MDF Burning

New here to the group (and laser cutting for that matter) ! I have a 150W CO2 Boss laser. Trying to cut 0.250" MDF without burning edges. I have played around with the settings and can figure out a good balance, it either cut through and burns( by burn i mean leaves a lot of 'charcoal' soot on the edge), or doesn't make it through the material. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MDF is notorious for charring so you may not be able to achieve the level of minimal charring you desire. What do you have for an air assist system? People report less charring when they switch from aquarium pumps to a true compressor and thus can force a lot more air down into the cut. Cut as fast as your machine allows at the quality level you need.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Thank you for your response. I have an actual air compressor and I have the regulated pressure set to 30 psi( which is typically what I perform my cutting at)

I have cut 1/4” with my 45 watt. The edges are black but smooth, and the char dust wipes right off easily. There is no discoloration on the surfaces if I apply transfer tape and mist with water before cutting.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I have cut 1/4” with my 45 watt. The edges are black but smooth, and the char dust wipes right off easily. There is no discoloration on the surfaces if I apply transfer tape and mist with water before cutting.
    OOhhh, good idea! Thanks.