Thread: router problems

router problems

I have a triton router set in a home made table. i like it generally good power good price. Hover i have to constantly reset the height of the bit. three or four feet of dado is more that it can handle. even in taking smaller 'bites' i loose about an eighth .
    does anyone else have the same problem? does anyone have a solution?

Has it always done that? Sounds like the collet or bit is dirty, but if it's always done that then I'd say there is a something wrong with the collet and it should be replaced.

John

Hi John,

I would look at the three variables in this issue - 1) Bit may be moving in the collet as John T suggests, 2) Depth adjustment of the router is moving, 3) Router mounting plate is moving in the table. You can re-measure the bit depth as it loses ground - If this is where your 1/8" is, you can rule out #3. Also measure the length of bit protruding from the edge of the collet after setup, then again after you lose 1/8. This will tell you if the issue in the collet or with the router depth adjustment.

In my experience, I've had movement in the depth of cut. This was normally from under-tightening the collet.

Cheers,
    Mark

Have you tried a different bit? What type bit are you using? Straight , Spiral up? Are you hand feeding or are you using a hold down of some kind? If you are hand feeding and the stock is bowed that may be some of the problem.

I also meant to say that for any cutting problem weather it's a saw, router, even a drill the first thing to try is change the blade or bit or drill and see if you still have the problem.

Blog Entries
    The collet needs to be TIGHT. If it is & the bit is still moving, then a new collet may be needed.

Collets don't last forever, they wear out and get an hour glass shape. Buy a new collet.

I had that problem. It was bit/collet fitting

Quote Originally Posted by John Christian View Post
    I have a triton router set in a home made table. i like it generally good power good price. Hover i have to constantly reset the height of the bit. three or four feet of dado is more that it can handle. even in taking smaller 'bites' i loose about an eighth .
    does anyone else have the same problem? does anyone have a solution?
    I purchased a 5/16 inch solid carbide strait bit and used it with 8 mm collet. No problem with Bosch 8 mm collet but when using Makita 8 mm I had similar results as you reported here. Probably if I create a aluminium foil sleeve it would solve the problem with Makita but meanwhile I limit the use of a such bit to my Bosch routers.

thanks very much for the advice guys
    i appreciate you and this site

Blog Entries
    Just checking that you removed the plunge spring for table use as per the manual.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I want to echo Walter's question about the type of bit. Spiral fluted bits might have an axial force that is changing the height of the bit while it is cutting. A bit with straight flutes is less likely to get pulled out of the collett during cutting.

Blog Entries
    I did a google search for triton router collet slipping and it seems that this is a recurring problem with Triton routers, particularly with the 1/4" collet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I purchased a 5/16 inch solid carbide strait bit and used it with 8 mm collet. No problem with Bosch 8 mm collet but when using Makita 8 mm I had similar results as you reported here. Probably if I create a aluminium foil sleeve it would solve the problem with Makita but meanwhile I limit the use of a such bit to my Bosch routers.
    Yes, an aluminum kitchen foil piece around the bit will make the set fits perfectly. (My) kitchen foil is 0.1 mm thick. Perfect.