Thread: Bridge City sales

Bridge City sales

Since the buyout, I've been getting some promo codes for big discounts from them. It's making me think hard. Anyone ever tried a HP-12? Looks like it's somewhere between a #4 and #5. I honestly don't NEED another plane but it sure is shiny.....
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Brantley View Post
    Since the buyout, I've been getting some promo codes for big discounts from them. It's making me think hard. Anyone ever tried a HP-12? Looks like it's somewhere between a #4 and #5. I honestly don't NEED another plane but it sure is shiny.....
    Haven't been tempted by that, it's too shiny and I like a more traditional look. But....

Anybody tried the the Gyro-Air dust collector?

I don't have power for it nor tools that need it, but every time they send a link it's a struggle to not order. Smaller, quieter, easier to empty, and effective filtration. They say. I've only seen, what appear to be, brand representatives using it.

Blog Entries
    Anyone ever tried a HP-12? Looks like it's somewhere between a #4 and #5. I honestly don't NEED another plane but it sure is shiny.....
    Available with a 20% discount from $1,000 to $800.

Order two so you can keep one set up for a scrub plane and one for a finishing plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not sure I want a handplane that requires an instruction manual, and 20 hours of supervised instruction before I may use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Available with a 20% discount from $1,000 to $800.

Order two so you can keep one set up for a scrub plane and one for a finishing plane.

jtk
    Actually, with the promo code they sent it's $599. Still pricey but $400 off does make it tempting.
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Never been tempted, and now that they’re made in China, an emphatic double no thank you.

Blog Entries
    One of my reasons for settling on Stanley/Bailey planes is there were tons of them made and most of them have parts available. Some of the competing lines by other makers are every bit as good and some might even say they are better.

Twenty years from now, if it isn't in my spare parts, any part needed to keep one of them up and running will likely still be available.

Some current makers seem to have similar future availability circumstances.

Some current makers seem to be more interested in making useable collectibles. They are beautiful works of art. They will likely be beautiful works of art in twenty years. Where will one go to purchase a plane blade or some less significant part if needed?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I agree 100%. Like I said, it's shiny. Just curious if anyone had any experience with one.

But playing devil's advocate to the replacement parts, I've got some 100 year old Stanleys with original irons. So it's doubtful that me or my kids would use up the iron on that one in our lifetimes. I don't see that plane being put in circumstances that would merit lots of grinding. It'd more than likely be like grandaddy's Cadillac. Only comes out of the garage on Sundays.

I've seen an uptick in emails from them lately: as they are a chinese owned company now I've lost all interest in their wares.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Brantley View Post

The new stuff from China is a hard sell to me. Now, the old made in the USA stuff I do pick up. 24 of them so far but my interested in list is getting shorter. Love the rosewood and juara. Highly doubt that we will see John E's level ever again for a price that is close to reasonable. You can make a case he was very high back in the day as well.

I bought a Kerf Maker 1 on sale, $49. It may be the only Bridge City tool I can ever afford.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I bought a Kerf Maker 1 on sale, $49. It may be the only Bridge City tool I can ever afford.
    They used to have a nice 6" rule with the numbers left to right on one side and right to left on the other for $20 or less. One of my favorite measuring tools.

jtk

Amen to that Brother. ABC = Anywhere but China!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    I've seen an uptick in emails from them lately: as they are a chinese owned company now I've lost all interest in their wares.

Lets hope the enlightenment spreads!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Amen to that Brother. ABC = Anywhere but China!

15. Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Anybody tried the the Gyro-Air dust collector?.
    Fine Woodworking gave the Gyro-Air dust collector a positive review. Even so I agree you don't see much about it. It seems like a great form factor, convenient to clean out etc.