Thread: help adjusting tilt on Craftsman table saw

help adjusting tilt on Craftsman table saw

My Craftsman saw will not return to 90 degrees. I turned it to tight and the stop went to far into the housing... I put everything back the way it was and now it will not return to 90. Please manual page and picture of the mechanism.

I loosened the stop against the side of the housing and pulled it off the housing and left it loose. I loosened "C" and then adjust loose "D", but it will not move more towards 90. There is a set screw in the little gear that nut "D" sits next to. Can I loosen this set screw and then turn this gear a little to give me more range of movement and then set everything tight to the new gear mesh setting? Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

BrianCraftmans tilt mech.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

A good percentage of the time, an issue like this is caused by debris. Be sure you rule that out for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim. Also I use a dry lube spray and the tilt and raising works much easier.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A good percentage of the time, an issue like this is caused by debris. Be sure you rule that out for sure.
    I cleaned everything out of the saw, but will blow it out good for sure and double check. thanks. Brian
    Brian

The manual page you include seems to provide the steps to remove slop or play from the worm assemblies, but I'm not sure that covers setting the actual tilt stops? I would expect there to be an adjustable, positive stop limit on the tilt. But I admit I've not worked on one of these saws.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I agree with Jim. Also I use a dry lube spray and the tilt and raising works much easier.

Blew everything out with compressed air when it was at 45 degrees. No better. Told my wife I may have to replace this with a Sawstop if I can't fix it!
    Brian

Figured it out. trail and error. The C & D nuts move that mating gear a little left and right on the main gear. Somehow it had shifted a little bit and wouldn't let the blade go back to 90. Adjusting the nut one direction did nothing other direction gave me the play I needed to go back to 90. Thanks for your suggestions. Brian
    Brian

Good that you figured it out but cleaning by blowing out with compressed air is just a start, suggest cleaning the threads with an old toothbrush then lube with a dry lube.

Post frustrated beyond belief

Anybody want to buy a used table saw? After I was able to return it to 90 I sprayed the gear with dry lube and move it to 45 degrees so I could get more of the teeth. After this the problem returned. I took the top off this morning. No debris in the way of it moving. I don't see a positive stop for this other than the T on the handle mechanism that will only go so far towards the housing. While I had the top off cleaned it better lubed it better, sat the top back on and it was flat and not rocking. Put the blade back on and put a square on it. It let me adjust it past square. I put the Besemeyer fence back on and tightened the top down to the base and the problem is back. Can't get it to 90 degrees.

I'm pretty mechanical, I worked in the mechanical power transmission industry for 40 years. Motors bearings gears sprockets v-belts did chain & v-belt drive design etc........, but i can't figure this out. Can't use it the way it is so... I give up.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

Brian I feel your pain. I started with a Craftsman saw that I bought new. I spent hours mucking with that saw.Adjusted everything 2-3 to 6 times. Under powered,would not hold adjustments ,fence moved. Eventually I bought a larger motor,then started looking for a fence. Then one day I stopped and moved on. My next saw was a Delta contractor with a Unifence. Massive difference,way more substantial. Held adjustments well,real motor and fence it was a dream compared to the other saw. Woodworking is not fun if you constantly have to mess with your tools. I always think of the definition of insanity,doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results. I would move on to a better quality saw. Delta ,Powermatic or Jet contractor saws with the fence you already have.

Blog Entries
    How is the tilt mechanism locked? Is it a knob on the wheel or a lever at the front of the saw, center, just below the table?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Brian I feel your pain. I started with a Craftsman saw that I bought new. I spent hours mucking with that saw.Adjusted everything 2-3 to 6 times. Under powered,would not hold adjustments ,fence moved. Eventually I bought a larger motor,then started looking for a fence. Then one day I stopped and moved on. My next saw was a Delta contractor with a Unifence. Massive difference,way more substantial. Held adjustments well,real motor and fence it was a dream compared to the other saw. Woodworking is not fun if you constantly have to mess with your tools. I always think of the definition of insanity,doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results. I would move on to a better quality saw. Delta ,Powermatic or Jet contractor saws with the fence you already have.
    Mike, this has worked fine for what I do for over 10 years, no problems. I hate to spend $2900+ on a new saw. I can afford it, but seems extravagant for a hobbiest like myself. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    How is the tilt mechanism locked? Is it a knob on the wheel or a lever at the front of the saw, center, just below the table?

Glenn: these is a threaded projection out the side of the saw that has a "T" on the end of it. Wheel goes over this and mates with the "T" and then the handle threads on to lock the wheel in place. 1st problem was I over tightened the wheel to try and get it back to 90 degrees and it pulled the "T" into the housing on the unit. There is a slot in the housing assembly the "T" can slid into for some reason? Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Brian I noticed in your post that you have a Biesmeyer fence already and thought it would not be hard to find a saw for it. Hope you get things figured out with your saw.

Against my better judgement I went into the shop and took another run at this. I loosened the bolts from the base to the cast iron top. I loosened the bolts for the angle iron for the fence on the front and the back. Saw let me get the blade to 90 degrees. Tight, in my opinion too tight and tighter than it has even been, but it went to square. Then I re-tightened the bolts on the angle iron one at a time, checking square after tightening each bolt. It stayed square. I tightened the base bolts lightly and it stayed square.

Only thing I can guess, and it is a guess, is somehow the angle iron was deflected up or down during the tightening process and this pressure from the flex was moving the cast iron table out of square with the blade just enough to be a pain in the a__. Not sure this is true, but it is the only idea I have.

Thanks for your suggestions. Brian
    Brian