Thread: Bandsaws

Bandsaws

So im new to bandsaw work and have been looking around for a decent older bandsaw without much luck. I did finally stumble along two older saws one delta and not sure what the other one is was just looking for some advice on them and which one you guys thought would be a good starter. They are at a estate sale and asking price was 200 for each
    Last edited by Josh turner; 05-14-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Welcome Josh, 200.00 is not bad for the Delta/Milwaukee BS providing that it does work.But even if it don't bearings is easy to find,really there are not parts that wear out unless they been abused.If parts are ever needed there are ton of parts on ebay. Over the yrs I have brought back to life maybe 5 of these BS,they work very well for what they are made for,just have to stay within their limits. Looks like you have the original motor which may be 3/4 hp or could be 1/2 hp motor but either is good and it still have the belt guard. Give it a test drive,check underneath the table make sure nothing is crack or broken and tilt the table. Make an offer see if you can get it tad cheaper. But at 200 its worth it either way. Transporting remove the table,then lay it down but remove the tilt knob which I think is kinda like wing nut or thumb screw.But put it on old blanket for some cushing.

Screenshot_20200514-002956_Facebook.jpg
    Thanksany clue what the second bs is behind the delta?

Could be Craftsman,but I'm guessing due to the base and how the upper wheel cover is shape

Hey thanks for the info im going today after work to take a look at them if it is a craftsman how good are they i am leaning more to the delta just cause i know they have a lot of parts available and upgrades and dont known anything about the other

There are literally dozens of copies of the old Delta or Rockwell 14" band saw, some are better than others but none are as good as the original. The Craftsman is likely a copy or clone of the Delta. If the two are in comparable condition I would buy the Delta. One thing to check for is the bore of the wheel where the bearing mounts. The bore on the upper wheel of my 60's vintage 14"Rockwell was worn, it can be repaired but I was lucky to find a replacement wheel for a good price. There are lots of sources for replacement parts for both the Delta/Rockwell and the copies and many of them are interchangeable.

That looks like a 60's or earlier Delta. It also looks like it has been unused for years. I would check it out and run it before buying.

It is nice that it has a miter gage.

I have sold very nice ones for $400.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-15-2020 at 3:50 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Location including country will affect price.
    Bill D.

Is this of any use?
    https://www.russiaexim.com/list/russ...w-machine.html

Quote Originally Posted by Josh turner View Post
    Screenshot_20200514-002956_Facebook.jpg
    Thanksany clue what the second bs is behind the delta?

Might be a Wards PowerKraft. I've got one very similar that I've had for over 25years.
    David

10. You can't go too far wrong for $200 unless it really needs something major. Check it over for anything really obviously wrong. You can clean it up and maybe replace stuff like bearings and tires as needed and have a nice saw for a good price. They usually don't need all that much more than that and a lot of elbow grease and even some of the elbow grease is kind of optional if you don't care what it looks like..
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 05-15-2020 at 9:29 AM.

That one in the background looks like what the Chinese copied when they made the Harbor Freight band saw. I'm guessing under the cover above the stand is some pulleys to change the speed. I would try to identify what brand motor is on it. If it's a US made motor then most likely it's a US made saw. Having multiple speeds might be something of benefit to you. Just understand that these older saws don't have the features of the modern ones (like a blade tension release handle). You can easily sink a lot of money into one adding stuff. Not that big of a deal as you can spread out your spending (or just leave it as it is) but just be aware.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    That one in the background looks like what the Chinese copied when they made the Harbor Freight band saw. I'm guessing under the cover above the stand is some pulleys to change the speed. I would try to identify what brand motor is on it. If it's a US made motor then most likely it's a US made saw. Having multiple speeds might be something of benefit to you. Just understand that these older saws don't have the features of the modern ones (like a blade tension release handle). You can easily sink a lot of money into one adding stuff. Not that big of a deal as you can spread out your spending (or just leave it as it is) but just be aware.
    FWIW, I never saw the need for a lot of added features on a bandsaw unless by features you mean a fence and a miter gauge. A tension release is a nice feature, but not something I'd bother to add to an older saw.

I've never worried about any need to release the tension on the saw unless changing blades. I guess maybe a saw gets a flat spot on the tires if it sits a long time? Mine runs every day so that isn't a concern for me. I saw an easy diy setup to add to the delta once and then before I actually did it I reconsidered because i just didn't see any need.

Those old Delta 14" cast iron band saws are like an AR-15. Tons of stuff you can add to them, some very useful, some more just looks than functional. A stiffer spring is one of the few things I would recommend. But after having a HF elcheapo for a short time I can tell you that having a knob right up against the upper guard to tension the blade is a pain. It's slow and a little difficult to get a good grip on the knob. I agree a fence is also a useful feature but a good one isn't cheap. $100 for a quick release lever, $25 for a stiffer spring, and $200 for a fence. Suddenly that $200 saw is closing in on $600 and that's not including replacing the guides if desired. Add in a riser block $100 and maybe a more powerful motor $250 and you've just crept up to the price of a new saw. Not saying it always happens, just watch out as it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Those old Delta 14" cast iron band saws are like an AR-15. Tons of stuff you can add to them, some very useful, some more just looks than functional. A stiffer spring is one of the few things I would recommend. But after having a HF elcheapo for a short time I can tell you that having a knob right up against the upper guard to tension the blade is a pain. It's slow and a little difficult to get a good grip on the knob. I agree a fence is also a useful feature but a good one isn't cheap. $100 for a quick release lever, $25 for a stiffer spring, and $200 for a fence. Suddenly that $200 saw is closing in on $600 and that's not including replacing the guides if desired. Add in a riser block $100 and maybe a more powerful motor $250 and you've just crept up to the price of a new saw. Not saying it always happens, just watch out as it can happen.
    Yeah good point. The thing is to know what you are getting in to. Figure which of that stuff you are likely to want or need and what you might spend. I agree on replacing the spring and possibly the motor depending on what it has. I am fine with that standard guides on mine. Mine came with a nice fence, but I'd probably have built a fence if it hadn't.