Thread: Dewalt Planer DW735 keeps tripping the internal breaker

Dewalt Planer DW735 keeps tripping the internal breaker

Hi all,
    I am hoping that maybe someone on this forum has run into this. I have searched through Google and have found many hits for the same issue, but when I follow the threads, I never get to a solution.
    I have a DW735 - about 2 years old and not used heavily - it has been working great until Sunday when it started to repeatedly trip the internal breaker. I finished the planing I needed for that day and yesterday I changed out the blades. Today, I had the same problem. I only have 9 boards of Cherry about 4"wide - and I could never make it through the entire bunch without the breaker tripping.
    So far I have:
    1) changed the blades (as mentioned before)
    2) switched outlets (20A dedicated outlet with no other machines on the circuit)
    3) tried using the slower feed rate
    4) minimized my cut depth all the way to 1/64" and it still tripped
    5) checked the brushes - they are still in great shape
    6) pulled the breaker and inspected it and the wires - all look good
    I currently do not have a way to measure the current draw, so I am out of luck on that right now. Tonight I ordered a new breaker. In reading other forums regarding the same issue, in all cases, changing the breaker did not seem to resolve the issue. So, while I am hopeful, I am not holding my breath. My other idea is to bypass the internal breaker - I figure the breaker box will trip if its the motor causing the issue.
    Has anyone else heard of this or the fix or have any more ideas?
    Thanks,
    Bryan

Have you cleaned the entry and exit tables and sprayed them with dry lube or waxed them? This eases load on drive rollers, especially on rough sawn lumber. On my DW735, I only remove a max of 1/16" on each pass. I have popped the internal breaker before with too heavy of a pass on hardwoods.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Are you using a extension cord too small or too long perhaps.

Good Luck
    Aj

Yes, I have cleaned the tables and, like you, I never take more than 1/16" at a time. Right now I cannot even take 1/64"

No extension cord is being used

I bought a clamp on ammeter. I took a flat appliance type extension cord and separated the conductors. Clamp on ammeters must go around only one conductor. That way I can check the amp draw of a device. If the amp draw is below the label, I'd guess the overload device is weak and tripping when it shouldn't. If the device is pulling more amps than it should running empty then something is wrong. Too many amps when working dull knives? Too deep cut?

Your internal breaker is most likely faulty. Though not common, it happens. Even to those in your wall panel.

I don't know if it can be separated from the motor or not. I know that planer , but am not familiar with the motor design.

I have a 733 that I got at an auction about 10 years ago. It was used but not totally worn out when I got it. About 8 years ago I had the same problem you're experiencing. I was running it very lightly and it was still tripping, so I pulled the breaker out of the top panel, unhooked the wires and put a wire nut on them, and it has been running fine ever since, though I have used it pretty hard on occasion. I don't use it to plane huge numbers of boards, but I do take a 1/32" bite on 10" wide ash or cherry sometimes, and while it may bog down a bit it powers through. I would try bypassing the breaker and see if that fixes the problem, if so you could then decide whether you wanted to replace it or leave it out as I did. I figured I had paid $120 and gotten two years of planing already, so it was worth taking the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Your internal breaker is most likely faulty. Though not common, it happens. Even to those in your wall panel.

I don't know if it can be separated from the motor or not. I know that planer , but am not familiar with the motor design.
    Yep, the more they trip the lower the actual rating becomes IIRC. If you trip a breaker or a GFCI too many times it'll trip more easily the next time. Looks like a replacement part for the DW735 runs about $12 online.

pickup a kill a watt meter
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1440&bih=757
    inexpensive and definitely will help troubleshooting problems

One if the guys on the “We made a thing” podcast had a similar issue. Can’t remember the outcome. You might look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles Moran View Post
    Yep, the more they trip the lower the actual rating becomes IIRC. If you trip a breaker or a GFCI too many times it'll trip more easily the next time. Looks like a replacement part for the DW735 runs about $12 online.
    For $12 why not? You could bypass the overload temporarily to see if that fixes the problem and be sure the motor doesn't get hot with relatively little use.