Thread: Hitachi P12r planer

Blog Entries

Hitachi P12r planer

Anyone have experience with this planer? What I most want to know is if it has an induction motor and how loud it is, say compared to a dewalt 735.

pic from google. 1DAFAA7E-20BD-4477-B430-C10EEB351FAF.jpeg

I used one about 20yrs ago that a friend bought. It had a jointer on the side of it. I recall it making very nice cuts and being plenty powerful.

Now, the bad news. It is a brushed motor screamer. Also, blades are proprietary and used to be expensive. Might even be impossible to find now. You'll need the setup blocks for the blade or will need to make your own.

Wouldn't spend more than a couple of hundred on one that was in good working condition.

Not likely an induction motor on a tool of that format. Dave brings up a good point about replacement knives, etc....it would be essential to know about that before even considering the purchase. Older so-called "stationary" tools generally use tooling that's more universal, but portable tools often have proprietary systems that have limited or no non-OEM support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent machine but a little loud as it has a brush motor. For $225, I'd jump on it.

Blades are still available, Hitachi part number 972011. Spendy but Byrd also makes a head for the P12R/A. https://www.holbren.com/Byrd_Tool_B4820

Blog Entries
    How'd you know $225? Haha

I have an alert thing that pings me when the older Japanese stuff goes up for sale on CL. Looks like the same seller has a CB75 F bandsaw as well...

Blog Entries
    Wow, interesting. I saw the bandsaw too. I’d love to pick it up too, but for such a specialized machine, not gonna happen right now. As for the planer, spoke to the seller, and am on the fence about it. My dewalt 735 has been annoying me and have been looking for a smaller old planer, like a pm 100. Nothin available as I’ve live on an island. Been checking CL for two years now.

Peter, you seem to know much about this machine, what do you think? I could sell my dewalt for more than I can buy the hitachi. There is a lot about the the hitachis construction and materials it is made from that I prefer.

I think I would look instead for a P100F and then sell the 735. Same capacity (I think) as the one you’re looking at, but built heavier and maybe quieter. I can remember if the P100F has an induction motor or not. I realize you’re in Hawaii and options are limited, but I’d say you have as good a chance as finding older Japanese machines as any of us on the east coast. They don’t come around much anymore.

I keep search tabs with “hitachi” and “makita” (as well as others) on Craigslist, etc open all the and simply refresh them once or twice a day to keep my eyes peeled for new old machines that may pop up regionally.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 05-15-2020 at 6:56 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I can remember if the P100F has an induction motor or not.
    Any of the smaller sized Japanese combination machines come equipped with universal type motors (Hitachi P100F, Makita 2030, etc), no way of easily changing them out for induction like you can with the bandsaws. Loud but not underpowered at all.

If you can unload that Dewilt 735 for more than the Hitachi, I'd quickly go for it. No comparison between the P12R (castings & machined parts) and a lunchbox (stamped sheetmetal & plastic).

Maintenance wise there's an off-chance that you'd need to re-cover the rubber feed rollers but the cost isn't terrible if you just send the drive shafts to Western Roller. The Hitachi ones don't seem to fall apart as easily as Makita so it's much less likely. Expect the brushes might need to be replaced, but this is easily done and Hitachi still sells them.

I'd check first.

Western quoted me close to two hundred bucks door to door for three very small wheels.

Blog Entries
    Well, hoping to pick it up on Sunday. Even though I’m on an island it’s a far drive for me, about 150 miles round trip through a lot of windy and narrow road. It’ll be a whole day event. Thanks for all the help.