Thread: It's two pieces...

It's two pieces...

Spalted maple. Turn your head to the left as I can't get it rotated.

Attachment 432846

__rotated.jpg

No finish applied, yet. Suggestions?

OBTW, the funky marks around the top are residue from the rubber hold-downs on the cole jaws; since removed.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-14-2020 at 7:55 AM. Reason: Rotated the photo

Looks very good to me. My favorite finish for stuff like this is old fashioned shellac. On light colored wood I use a Blonde or Super Blonde both at about a 2 1/2# cut. Three or more coats with sanding between each coat. Then a final buffing with 0000 steel wool then Johnson's Paste Wax. Produces a smooth satin sheen.

Eugene,

I took the liberty of rotating the photo for you.

Nice piece. The finish depends somewhat on the look you want. To keep it light and non-yellowing, I like to use lacquer. Some other finishes may make it "warmer" (more yellow). A sasturating oil like Watco Danish may make it a lot darker. If I'm turning with a tenon I sometimes turn and sand what's left after parting off and use parts of it to test several finishes.

Nice wood too! If you have a truckload of that wood all I need is about a wheelbarrow full.

JKJ

Thanks for the 'turn' John.

No truckload. Most of what I have (had) is essentially found-on-the-side-of-the-road. Some from Raleigh, NC. Some from Nashville, TN. Some from down the road in ENC. It feels like if I lay it on the ground a short time (<2weeks) or put it on the rack in the garage (on the ground for <8 hrs), it spalts. Must be the air and humidity here.

I was thinking Bright Red Transtint on the upper piece exterior with lacquer and straight lacquer on the bottom. The two will be glued together once I get the interior finished.

Great looking piece. My oldest son just moved near Winston-Salem, with 5 acres of partially wooded land. Can't wait to take our first trip there.
    John rotating the pic brings new meaning to "one good turn deserves another"!!
    earl