Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good CoVid-19 Article about your chance of being infected

As a school teacher I have been taught that 80% of students and computers should be immunized against a virus to have herd immunity. More then 20% with no antivirus and a virus can run through al lthe non protected. Apple computers are poorly virus protected but they are less then 20% of computers worldwide so they have a herd immunity to pc virus transmission.
    Bill D

It sure was nice of many governors to send covid patients to nursing homes. PA, NY, MI, several other states.
    Gee, I wonder why it took out nursing homes and really pumped up those numbers. I bet it had nothing to do with federal funding.

Considering the fact that something like 50% of those infected with Covid-19 experience no symptoms and 99.9% recover if they do get it, it seems to me like herd immunity is a practical possibility. The number of infected people who have already been infected has been grossly underestimated because of the lack of symptoms and the very small percentage of the population that has been tested for antibodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Considering the fact that something like 50% of those infected with Covid-19 experience no symptoms and 99.9% recover if they do get it, it seems to me like herd immunity is a practical possibility. The number of infected people who have already been infected has been grossly underestimated because of the lack of symptoms and the very small percentage of the population that has been tested for antibodies.
    Herd immunity without a vaccine, if even possible with this virus, would require 230 million to become infected and millions would die. We just dont know how much if any immunity a person has after recovering. Herd immunity is not going to save us. Five thirty eight has an article on this if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Herd immunity without a vaccine, if even possible with this virus, would require 230 million to become infected and millions would die. We just dont know how much if any immunity a person has after recovering. Herd immunity is not going to save us. Five thirty eight has an article on this if you're interested.
    I linked it on the previous page.
    Last edited by Nathan Johnson; 05-14-2020 at 7:01 PM.

We also dont know if this will mutate. If an asymptomatic patient is Re-infected by a mutated strain will the outcome be the same?

I mean, I hope we develop immunity. I hope we develop an effective vaccine. I hope the lowest number of people possible die. But we dont know enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    The number of deaths could be cut by more than half if someone could develop a method to prevent the disease from sweeping through nursing homes and memory care units. I seem to recall that about half of all deaths came from places like this.

I read the article from the previous link. Suffice it to say that not all physicians and scientists agree with that person's opinion. Why should I believe them instead of some other equally well credentialed stranger whose opinion I got from the internet.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 05-14-2020 at 7:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I read the article from the previous link. Suffice it to say that not all physicians and scientists agree with that person's opinion. Why should I believe them instead of some other equally well credentialed stranger whose opinion I got from the internet.
    Just pick the opinion you prefer.