Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water in air compressor tank?

water in air compressor tank?

Well i'm pretty sure I asked about this already, but I've looked through 100 of my posts and can't find it. Anyways, people on here were saying that the heat from the compressor causes the hot air to condense and make water at the bottom of the tank. Well I've noticed I can drain the water out, not even let the pump turn on, then drain more out the next day. What gives?

I guess this is why they say to empty it out completely.

...and this is why I have an auto-drain on my compressor. But yes, moisture and a compressor go hand in hand which is why you need to care for them by regularly draining that water out of the tank. You can easily replace the generally "uncomfortable to use" OEM stop-cock with 1/4" NPT fittings and a ball valve to make that easier to do manually.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They almost all come with a drain that is really too small to work very well. Even on my large ones, I increased the size as much as possible, by drilling and rethreading to a larger size.

One way to deal with it is to install an intercooler. Photos show how I installed mine.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The intercooler should only improve the performance of the compressor, but the total amount of water "condensed" during all the compression stages will remain the same. It does require draining the little knockout filter that was installed if there is any pocket in the line between stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    The intercooler should only improve the performance of the compressor...
    It removes the water before it gets to the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I'm sure it won't remove it all, if even half. No way for that small area to cool the air enough. You need a remote chiller if you want really dry air, not an air to air mounted on the compressor. But of course what works in the desert won't work in Florida.

It only cools the air and water it does not remove it at all. You have to run the cooled air through a filter to remove any air. As air heats up it can hold more moisture. This humid air can pass though a water removing filter unless the air temperature is below the dew point. The dew point changes with pressure and temperature. As a tank cools overnight the pressure drops and the water cools below the dew point and it condenses on the tank walls and runs down to the drain. Fancy air systems cool the air in a little refrigerator before the water seperating filters
    IT is a good idea to run a short length of pipe or tube from the drain fitting down to the valve. This allows more water to collect outside the tank so the bottom is not full of water. It also moves the valve out to where it is easier to actually use it.
    Bill D

As the air is cooled moisture drops out.

To the OP's question, one possible reason you got more water out the next day is that the previous time you drained was shortly after the compressor had filled the tank with warm/hot compressed air. You drained only the condensate that was present at that time. The warm air still held more moisture that had not condensed. So once that tank full of warm, moist air cooled, it condensed some more water, which you drained later.

The intercooler mentioned condenses moisture that can be captured before it enters the tank, so that less moisture is left to condense in the tank. The total moisture condensed will be the same, but the amount condensed in the tank will be less. The intercooler also increases the effective air capacity of the tank, by storing only pre-cooled air. The already cooled air does not lose the energy from cooling in the air-lines before it reaches the air tool.

However, since the specific intercooler setup shown dumps the extracted heat back into the compressor cooling air, it may be robbing some of the potential efficiency, since the compressed air is probably heated more by the hotter compressor. The air exiting the intercooler will still be cooler (and drier) than without the intercooler, but not by as much.

Finally, technically (and trivially), intercoolers are employed between compression stages. Coolers after the last compression stage are technically called after-coolers. However, the common use of the term intercooler on turbocharged internal combustion engines (where the final stage of compression actually occurs in the cylinder) has caused the term to be misapplied in common use.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I did a quick hookup of my refrigerated dryer, and put it downstream of the tank. It has an automatic drain, but I never had one on the tank that would last more than a couple of years. I don't get any moisture in the hose, but still need to drain the tank. The dryer is rated for almost double the air that the compressor produces.

Even on my small compressors, I changed to the largest ball valve I could get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It only cools the air and water it does not remove it at all. You have to run the cooled air through a filter to remove any air. As air heats up it can hold more moisture. This humid air can pass though a water removing filter unless the air temperature is below the dew point. The dew point changes with pressure and temperature. As a tank cools overnight the pressure drops and the water cools below the dew point and it condenses on the tank walls and runs down to the drain. Fancy air systems cool the air in a little refrigerator before the water seperating filters
    IT is a good idea to run a short length of pipe or tube from the drain fitting down to the valve. This allows more water to collect outside the tank so the bottom is not full of water. It also moves the valve out to where it is easier to actually use it.
    Bill D
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    To the OP's question, one possible reason you got more water out the next day is that the previous time you drained was shortly after the compressor had filled the tank with warm/hot compressed air. You drained only the condensate that was present at that time. The warm air still held more moisture that had not condensed. So once that tank full of warm, moist air cooled, it condensed some more water, which you drained later.

The intercooler mentioned condenses moisture that can be captured before it enters the tank, so that less moisture is left to condense in the tank. The total moisture condensed will be the same, but the amount condensed in the tank will be less. The intercooler also increases the effective air capacity of the tank, by storing only pre-cooled air. The already cooled air does not lose the energy from cooling in the air-lines before it reaches the air tool.

However, since the specific intercooler setup shown dumps the extracted heat back into the compressor cooling air, it may be robbing some of the potential efficiency, since the compressed air is probably heated more by the hotter compressor. The air exiting the intercooler will still be cooler (and drier) than without the intercooler, but not by as much.

Finally, technically (and trivially), intercoolers are employed between compression stages. Coolers after the last compression stage are technically called after-coolers. However, the common use of the term intercooler on turbocharged internal combustion engines (where the final stage of compression actually occurs in the cylinder) has caused the term to be misapplied in common use.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    These knowledgeable men can play with my air anytime!

One way to deal with it is to install an intercooler. Photos show how I installed mine.

Please tell me the welded pipe is only structural and not under pressure!
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Please tell me the welded pipe is only structural and not under pressure!
    Bil lD
    Absolutely; only structural support for the cooler. I used what was on hand when I fabricated the supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    ...Coolers after the last compression stage are technically called after-coolers...
    Correct. This should be called an after-cooler.