Thread: How to stop . ..

Blog Entries

How to stop . ..

The Total AV nag screen from showing up every morning.

Any help will be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Switch to a Macintosh?

Actually it has a "Messenger nag screen" on every start up. Either hit Esc. or click it closed. If my computer is left on all the time it doesn't show up except on a reboot.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I uninstalled Norton, but I still get a nag screen that is so deeply embedded it would take a geek's geek to get rid of it. Or so I am told. Interesting, a virus checker that is a virus itself. How ironic.
    NOW you tell me...

What AV are you using? What is your OS?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

You guys should be able to turn those nags off using msconfig-
    type 'msconfig' in your run box (not sure if win10 has such a thing) and run it--
    ms1.jpg

then click on the 'startup' tab to get to your startup items-
    ms2.jpg
    note I highlighted CCleaner, I keep it unchecked, this keeps their nag off my computer. Also note out of ALL the startup items I have, only 3 are checked as they're relatively necessary, so nothing else in my list runs unless I want it to run, or it's called up to run automatically. There's no reason to slow down your computer having all those items running constantly in the background when they'll start automatically if needed or manually if you so desire-

So, check your startup menu for any trace of "AV" or "Norton" items, and uncheck them if they exist. If they do, hopefully this will kill the nags.

Ole, if you want to get rid of Norton, you can search your registry for Norton, and just delete every instance of it you find. If it turns out there's dozens or hundreds of entries, "reg scanner" can locate them all within a few seconds, and you can delete any or batch delete the whole bunch. Just backup the registry before you start. Me, I've never run into any problems after doing this (For AOL, Norton, AV, Avast, Panda among others) --
    Looks like this- I searched out Norton, it found the 3 instances shown, and there's never been any Norton software ON this computer

regscn.jpg

===============
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I knew I would find a geek here Kev. In Win 10 the startup manager is under Task manager as you stated, msconfig will redirect you there. Norton doesn't show up there or under the services tab or under processes. CCleaner is there, but only pops up when they want to update, I usually just close it out. Guess it is on to the registry, not sure if I am comfortable going there.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    It worked for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Norton doesn't show up there or under the services tab or under processes.
    Have you tried this?
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...ions/v60392881
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that one. I tried it even though the program was previously uninstalled. We'll see if it works.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that one. I tried it even though the program was previously uninstalled. We'll see if it works.
    I ran it, it didn't work, i still get the popup.
    NOW you tell me...

First, I'm using win7, not sure this will work on 10 but this how I do it:

Hit the windows start button, at the bottom is 'search'... Type %appdata% -- When I do, the "roaming" folder appears at the top, go there. Use the folder bar to back up to the Appdata folder. Now search for Norton. If any files or folders exist, shift-delete them all...

--I'm curious as to what happens

If for whatever reason that doesn't pan out, I recommend downloading this program called "Autoruns"- everyone should get this program, it's essentially task-manager's processes on steroids, EVERYTHING your computer is running shows up here, and any program or process can be halted or disabled here.

Link>> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Here's shortened screenshot of mine, note all the tabs, and note how small the scrollbar is, my list is hiding 5 more pages! At the top is a search filter, just type Norton in there and see what happens.
    autoruns.jpg

to anyone who's never used this program, it'll amaze you

Hopefully one of these tricks will work!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    First, I'm using win7, not sure this will work on 10 but this how I do it:

Hit the windows start button, at the bottom is 'search'... Type %appdata% -- When I do, the "roaming" folder appears at the top, go there. Use the folder bar to back up to the Appdata folder. Now search for Norton. If any files or folders exist, shift-delete them all...

--I'm curious as to what happens

If for whatever reason that doesn't pan out, I recommend downloading this program called "Autoruns"- everyone should get this program, it's essentially task-manager's processes on steroids, EVERYTHING your computer is running shows up here, and any program or process can be halted or disabled here.

Link>> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Here's shortened screenshot of mine, note all the tabs, and note how small the scrollbar is, my list is hiding 5 more pages! At the top is a search filter, just type Norton in there and see what happens.
    autoruns.jpg

to anyone who's never used this program, it'll amaze you

Hopefully one of these tricks will work!
    I just tried the %appdata% route, but it didn't find any Norton related files. Thanks though.

However...at your suggestion I downloaded Autoruns. Searched for Norton, found 8 items and deleted them. Hopefully that did it. Thanks so much Kev! Hallelujah!
    NOW you tell me...