Thread: Beveler

Beveler

We use an old New Hermes beveler to finish the edges of signs and badges, after 30+ years it’s dead and can’t be repaired. The cost for a similar new one is $1200, anyone have an alternative that works well on 1/16” plastic? I’m wondering if a palm router could be mounted and used? Thanks.

You can call Fred Schwartz at Quality One. https://q1engravers.com/index.php?ma...497g59f3j0nj53
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I would buy a beveler from Quality One Engravers and not look back. I've got one that is 20 years old and works like the day I bought it. You might even consult them on your existing New Hermes unit. I would bet they could get that one back to working like new.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

--I own a multitude of New Hermes equipment, most of it 15-50 years old and still in service, and not one 'whole piece' has ever been gone 'beyond repair'. With all due respect, the only reason a New Hermes beveler couldn't be fixed is if someone smashed it with a sledgehammer

Here's my beveler, I believe we got it in '81...
    nhbv.jpg
    There's seriously only 3 things that can go wrong with one of these, the belt tension spring on the motor pivot, the motor, and the spindle. Motor and spindle can be bought outright from Quality One, $300 each. You'll never find a new beveler that cheap.

If the motor's bad and you're a cheapskate like me, HF sells this whole thing for $50:
    hfmtr.jpgI got one years ago, at the moment I use the motor on one of my tool grinders, 15000 rpm and NH pulleys fit the shaft. I could easily and simply hose-clamp it to the motor mount on the beveler.

(FWIW I'm running "wrong" motors held in place with hose clamps on all 3 of my Vanguard machines )
    bod1.jpg bod2.jpg
    Did I mention I'm a cheapskate? Hey, they work --these motors have been use like this for nearly 20 years (My Vanguards are 31 years old now)

Here's excerpts from Q1's beveler parts page:
    q1ms.jpg

Good luck!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Waltman View Post
    We use an old New Hermes beveler to finish the edges of signs and badges, after 30+ years it’s dead and can’t be repaired. The cost for a similar new one is $1200, anyone have an alternative that works well on 1/16” plastic? I’m wondering if a palm router could be mounted and used? Thanks.

Kevin, IMO most of the bevel tools are way overpriced for the hobby market or professionals who do a limited amount of this type of work. It is reasonably easy to build a tool that will do the job, whether it is practical is based on the value of your time. I purchased a low end model that uses a Dremel Tool mounted on a flat plate. It's not fancy but it does the job. If I had the time when the need arose I could have easily made the same fixture with a Dremel tool purchased locally and used a piece of solid surface material for the base and saved at least 200% of the cost to purchase.

If your business includes a lot of time using a bevel tool the most expensive models are probably a bargain IMO.

Thank you all for the advice, I found an identical New Hermes NSE 11 on eBay for under a hundred dollars and purchased it. Will definitely look into sending the old motor to Q1, we actually have a few of them. The problem we’re running into is finding bearings and brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Waltman View Post
    Thank you all for the advice, I found an identical New Hermes NSE 11 on eBay for under a hundred dollars and purchased it. Will definitely look into sending the old motor to Q1, we actually have a few of them. The problem we’re running into is finding bearings and brushes.

If your Beveler is one that is a belt driven style, I would look in the world of sewing machines. Most pre computer sewing machines all has external motors.....My wife has a bobbin winder that has a motor, foot pedal and belt that drives a pulley. Just like a Cutter head.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw