Thread: Jet JWTS-10JF Table Saw Problem

Jet JWTS-10JF Table Saw Problem

Hi All, I am new here, so 'Hello" to everybody. I need some help with my Jet JWTS-10JF Table Saw. I have had the saw a couple of years which I bought from the original purchaser. The problem is this; when I lower the blade all the way down so that it is below the throat plate the last 2" hard very hard to turn the lowering wheel. Raising the blade is no problem, lowering it down is OK until the last 2" or so. The lowering wheel is free, the retaining knob on the wheel is not tight. I have cleaned the worm and teeth as best as I can but this has made no difference. I do not want to take the saw to pieces if I really do not have to (not too sure how to do that), has anybody any idea's please? JET Technical Dept. in Tennessee were no help at all.

Thanks for any advice,

Ron in Woodstock

Any time I've ever encountered this kind of behavior on a tool it was definitely debris interfering with the gears/rack&pinion/mechanism. It may not be "on" those items, however...it may be in a place that is more hidden.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Contact this site and see if they can help.
    https://sierravictor.com/jet-tools/?...RoCQfcQAvD_BwE

Have you tried putting some oil on the threads? My old Cman table saw had to be oiled occasionally.

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the information. I have tried to clean the rack & pinion but on the Jet it is very difficult. I will try again and see what happens.

Ron in Woodstock, Ontario

Hi Jim,
    I have not put oil on the mechanism simply because an old woodworker told me that sawdust will stick to oil and clog everything up! Maybe I will try some light oil?

Thanks,

I have had similar problems, and I think the buildup of sawdust and the challenges associated with reaching this area for regular cleaning can ultimately lead to damage to the cast iron gear which is moved by the harder rotating, steel worm screw. I have to remove the duct collection plate and climb under the saw with a headlamp and mask when I want to clean the assembly. I can clearly see the damage to the gear on my saw. Good luck!~

Steve

Gulp!! I hope that I dont have anything like you describe! With the blade removed and the throat plate removed I managed to just get into the mechanism. I have scraped each tooth on the gear rack and there was a little improvement. The rack looks in good condition. When it warms up I will have anothe go and maybe as a previous poster suggested, put a little oil on the rack and pinion. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gillatt View Post
    Gulp!! I hope that I dont have anything like you describe! With the blade removed and the throat plate removed I managed to just get into the mechanism. I have scraped each tooth on the gear rack and there was a little improvement. The rack looks in good condition. When it warms up I will have anothe go and maybe as a previous poster suggested, put a little oil on the rack and pinion. Thanks for the advice.

It may be wise to use something besides oil or grease. They can both hold sawdust which may bring your problem back. Paste wax has been used for years for such purposes. There are also spray lubes that dry so don't hold debris.

Oops...had to delete. Wrong saw.
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 05-15-2020 at 3:21 PM.