Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to clean planer rollers with?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    bit of lacquer thinner in steel wool, what the old guys used especially from having run pine, nothing put on after
    It would depend upon what the rollers are made of. Lacquer thinner is fine for metal rollers, but not necessarily ok for the "plastic" materials used on many portable planers. One must also take great personal care as the fumes can be very harmful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Benjimin Young View Post
    Dave and Myles, thanks for your response.
    A followup questions. After cleaning with mineral spirits do you do anything special to remove the mineral spirits residue or just wipe off excess with a rag?
    Never noticed anything left on after. I dampen a rag and wipe it down. More elbow grease with the rag, and less mineral spirits. Based on all the internet arguments over cleaning them, I figured light on the solvent was a safe choice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It would depend upon what the rollers are made of. Lacquer thinner is fine for metal rollers, but not necessarily ok for the "plastic" materials used on many portable planers. One must also take great personal care as the fumes can be very harmful.
    This. Lacquer thinner is very hard on most plastics & rubbers. It will clean off the gunk very well, and will have much more grip after cleaning, but at the cost of degrading the rubber on the roller in time.

Lacquer thinner.

If I had rubber rollers I don’t know..

Works great on powerfeeder wheels also followed by 120 sand paper. I wouldn’t sand paper my feed rollers but...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Last time I bought kerosene was before 9/11. I went Sunday afternoon to the local airport and bought a few gallons of jet fuel. Bring a big.. funnel. It stinks less then kerosene.
    Wouldn't Diesel fuel be cheaper? They're pretty similar. Rumor has it that a certain Turboprop engine built in Canada will run just fine on diesel as long as it's warm.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-14-2020 at 8:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Wouldn't Diesel fuel be cheaper? They're pretty similar. Rumor has it that a certain Turboprop engine built in Canada will run just fine on diesel as long as it's warm.
    I was buying for a kerosene lantern and I thought jet fuel would stink less then kero or diesel when burning. I have switched to battery and propane. I used to use the Kero for starting the campfire now I bring a self igniting propane torch head.
    Bill D

Simple Green works extremely well and is gentle on synthetic rollers.

Last time I bought kerosene was before 9/11. I went Sunday afternoon to the local airport and bought a few gallons of jet fuel. Bring a big.. funnel. It stinks less then kerosene.

Jet Fuel:

If you can find it, use Jet B, it 's more to the naphtha end of the line. Jet A (most common) is more towards the kerosene end of the line, and a bit more 'oily' than Jet B. Diesel is a bit more oily as well, and will be harder to get it all cleaned off. Jet B will almost evaporate off by itself.

35 years of burning it for a living...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-15-2020 at 9:38 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I’ve bought both mineral spirits and denatured alcohol this year in sunny California, so I’m not sure which gulag you’re living in.

This thread got me wondering whether acetone would be harmful to the planet rollers. Thoughts?

Yeah Jim i only saw rollers and not dewalt. All stuff here metal but the woodmaster moulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    I’ve bought both mineral spirits and denatured alcohol this year in sunny California, so I’m not sure which gulag you’re living in.

This thread got me wondering whether acetone would be harmful to the planet rollers. Thoughts?
    I'm not an expert on solvents, but I'd personally avoid acetone because it does a number on plastic. Not sure how rubber would fare, but I'm guessing that its gonna try and eat the rollers just the same.

Never thought I'd see suggesting using Jet fuel in the woodworking shop. LOL
    --

Brake cleaner is mostly acetone. "Yes", it will absolutely eat through anything non-metallic but do any of these contractor-type actually planers have rubber outfeed rollers?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Brake cleaner is mostly acetone. "Yes", it will absolutely eat through anything non-metallic but do any of these contractor-type actually planers have rubber outfeed rollers?

Erik
    I could be wrong, but I believe the majority, if not all, of the portable planers have plastic/rubber rollers.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe the majority, if not all, of the portable planers have plastic/rubber rollers.
    Really?!? See: You learn something new every day. If that's the case, obviously no brake cleaner, LOL.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep