Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to clean planer rollers with?

It's actually an advantage for taking really thin cuts because there's no marking like there is with the serrated rollers on most stationary tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    I’ve bought both mineral spirits and denatured alcohol this year in sunny California, so I’m not sure which gulag you’re living in.

This thread got me wondering whether acetone would be harmful to the planet rollers. Thoughts?
    Bob,

As of 1/1/20, Mineral Spirits and Denatured Alcohol were added to the long list of products banned for sale by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) due to excessive VOC content. These products were removed from retail stores and online sellers were banned from shipping it to California. If you indeed purchased Mineral Spirits in 2020 it will state “substitute” or “CARB Formula” on the label. Better for your health but not the same chemical makeup. I haven’t tried either so can’t comment on their effectiveness. As of yet there are no such alternatives to Denatured Alcohol. There are numerous lawsuits pending against the onerous CARB regulations (if you want to spend the time researching it you won’t believe how many products are banned) but they will likely take years to resolve.

What is it that you're cleaning off? I have to say in 40 years of using planers I've never cleaned the rollers, nor noticed anything on them that seemed to need cleaning. That said, I don't plane anything odd, 95% maple, cherry and walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    What is it that you're cleaning off? I have to say in 40 years of using planers I've never cleaned the rollers, nor noticed anything on them that seemed to need cleaning. That said, I don't plane anything odd, 95% maple, cherry and walnut.
    I'm assuming if you planed a lot of southern yellow pine it would be a necessity.

any pine will leave some pitch in diff amounts last stuff I used was for more storage cabinets 1 and 2 common

Hmm I though you only got rubber rolls if you had deep pockets. I know my Felder it was a upcharge. The scm machine at my last place of employment and nice Scm not the bottom tear stuff had rubber rolls in and out. And I think Martin specs their machines with only rubber.

Maybe I should be shopping at Home Depot. I started with one of those dewalt things years ago, man I hated that little pos...