Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting my garage shop when garage doors are open

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I like Jim's idea for quality light and the method of support. Unistrut is great stuff. I buy it at my local plumbing supply placer about $30 a 10' stick. Pin one side to a wall. When the door is open rotate the strut and lights off the wall to a carrier on the other side. When the door is closed rotate it back to a bracket on the wall where it is secure and out of the way. You will have better light and if you need to you can move that assembly for other spot uses.

Making it a simple jib crane. Or put a track and rollers on both sides and make it a bridge crane. EMT conduit is easy to find in the stores.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Put windows in the door.
    You made laugh out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Making it a simple jib crane. Or put a track and rollers on both sides and make it a bridge crane. EMT conduit is easy to find in the stores.
    Bil lD
    See, Bill, now that is how these projects get away from us

Or put a big street light outside to shine through the windows in the door when it is up. How about those big hanger doors made of fabric that allow light in.
    Fiber optics and mirrors come to mind. Maybe a disco ball or two?
    Bill D.

Maybe a mobile light tower as used for picking crops at night when it is too hot in the day. You do not need the generator just use a cord. I understand it is not for the workers comfort. it is because the crop rots too fast when it is picked over 100 or so.
    Bil lD.

https://www.generacmobileproducts.co...s/light-towers

Mount the lights to the door rails

My door tracks are mounted to pieces of perforated angled pressed steel the run the length of the tracks.(seems to be a common product for mounting these things and probably has a more concise name). I screwed 2x4s to the steel, then hung 4' LED shop lights off them with chains and screw eyes. The 'inner' (towards the door) chains are one link shorter than the 'outer' ones, so the lights are slightly angled in towards the center of the shop. Works great, the shop is lit up beautifully.

This is for a shop in a single-car garage, not sure how well it would work in a two-car garage.

I had started looking into if a garage door can be converted to head up higher before turning horizontal. And have up on looking because most of my "needs good lighting areas" aren't effected by the open doors.

Maybe it's an option for you. I have 12' ceiling

There's always the option of carriage doors, too, George.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is a dilemma that I have pondered and my solution has been this: mount the lights above the garage door as if the door wasn't there. I only open my doors during the day, as the bugs come out at dusk and storm the garage. Natural daylight from an open door is a lot more light than you could ever hope to get from a few haphazardly placed fixtures. At dusk, close the door and the regular lights take over. I supplement with a few portable worklights that I fabricated from RAB X34 6500lm floodlights.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I never heard anymore about it but there was a plan to put giant mirrors on top of the towers of the golden gate bridge. You would sign up online and the mirrors would tilt and shine sunlight onto your location for maybe ten minutes at a designated time in the future. No refunds for foggy days.
    I know the Alaska railroad placed some strategic metal billboards at curves to bounce radio signals to the trains.
    Bill D.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2012/06/21...-solar-beacon/

Have you thought of "corn lights?" Rockler has one that puts out 10K lumens by wrapping LEDs around a cylinder and thus the light is spread 360 degrees. It is screwed in like a light bulb and uses 80 watts. Amazon and Home Depot also have a selection. My son installed one in his 2 car garage and says it is like daylight.

If you install a porcelain light socket on the ceiling where the garage door ends in the open position and drop this down it may be a solution for you since it throws light outward.

https://www.rockler.com/10000-lumen-led-corn-bulb

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=corn+ligh...b_sb_ss_i_4_10
    Last edited by Paul Wunder; 06-09-2020 at 9:28 AM. Reason: clarity