Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting my garage shop when garage doors are open

Blog Entries

Question Lighting my garage shop when garage doors are open

I have 4 led lights in my garage shop and they work very well, but when I open the garage door two of them are covered, so the lighting in that area is less than ideal. Is there some kind of battery powered light I could put on the garage doors so they would light these blocked areas? Any other suggested solutions?
    Thanks
    Dennis

2. Something on an arm or stand that is below the door maybe? Something a power cord that can be stuck to the door with a magnet?

This is one of the challenges with a garage based workshop area unfortunately since most garages have doors that go up overhead when opened. In addition to Pete's suggestion for lighting on stands, if you have the headroom for when/if you put a vehicle in there, you could put a span of unistrut across the space under the level of the raised door and mount some lightweight LED fixtures to use when the doors are open. Battery operated types may not throw enough light, however, so plug-in probably still is best. Most of these types of lights have a small transformer. You can even make your own light strips with LED tape for this kind of application...they kind used for under cabinet use, but with the highest LED per inch/foot count for maximum output.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What tools or work areas do you have in the area underneath the raised garage doors?

Matt

I have a LED worklight, that could be plugged in, it is made to set on floor or on top of a cabinet. Higher light is better. A neighbor uses a ceiling shop LED light portable, he just leans it against the wall where he is working.

led lights are so light weight now days, just attach a couple of strips to the garage door. then when the door is up run an extension cord to them and plug them in.

Blog Entries
    You could mount the fixtures on the door & connect them with a curly cord to a wall mounted switch. It's sort of like a heavy duty old school telephone handset cord that is normally used to connect the door safety edge to the operator. A commercial overhead door supplier will be able to sell you one. Be sure it's rated for 150V though, but all the ones I've worked with have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    led lights are so light weight now days, just attach a couple of strips to the garage door. then when the door is up run an extension cord to them and plug them in.
    My thought exactly. Attach some LED tube lights to the door and plug them in while up. I bought some 8' long LED tube lights that probably weight a couple of pounds and are very low profile-- and there are plenty other similar ones ou tthere that would also likely work great.

I'd see if you could be creative in your extension cord routing so that if the garage is closed accidentally with the lights still plugged in you don't rip them off the door or damage your extension cord, etc.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Why not put them on the wall

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    I'd see if you could be creative in your extension cord routing so that if the garage is closed accidentally with the lights still plugged in you don't rip them off the door or damage your extension cord, etc.
    That's why I suggested the curly cord. It can be installed permanently so it never gets in the way & nothing has to plugged/unplugged.

Put windows in the door.

I bet you can buy old movie projecter screens cheap these days. Attach those to the door and bounce lights off it from the floor. Or foil covered foam insualtion sheets. If your name was Hugh you could glue mirror tile on.
    Bil lD

I have the same problem and bought a clamp light with aluminum reflector for about ten bucks. It is clamped to bottom of the garage door opener and plugged into the outlet above. With a high lumen bulb it makes a significant difference and since it is not attached to the door it never gets in the way. If you don’t have a GDO you can clamp it to the garage door track beyond where the rollers travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    My thought exactly. Attach some LED tube lights to the door and plug them in while up. I bought some 8' long LED tube lights that probably weight a couple of pounds and are very low profile-- and there are plenty other similar ones ou tthere that would also likely work great.
    Good suggestion.
    I see a low-voltage LED kit

I like Jim's idea for quality light and the method of support. Unistrut is great stuff. I buy it at my local plumbing supply placer about $30 a 10' stick. Pin one side to a wall. When the door is open rotate the strut and lights off the wall to a carrier on the other side. When the door is closed rotate it back to a bracket on the wall where it is secure and out of the way. You will have better light and if you need to you can move that assembly for other spot uses.