Thread: MiniMax CU300 Smart mortiser attachment

MiniMax CU300 Smart mortiser attachment

Can anyone tell me what the RPM is on the mortiser attachment for my MiniMax combo machine?

Thanks
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Whatever the cutterhead rpm is, probably in the 5k range.

Yeah, 5K-ish is pretty standard on any of these.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thank you for the info.

I wanted to compare it to the Laguna slot mortiser I have which runs at 3,200 RPM (per Laguna). Sounds like 5K would possibly work better with upcut router bits I have.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-13-2020 at 2:20 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've used upcut carbide spiral router bits and birdsmouth bits on a SCM/Minimax mortiser and I've decided that the birdsmouth bits do a better job: cleaner moritse walls and less tendency to pull the bit into the cut. My $.02.

Thanks Phil.

I have a set of birdsmouth bits from Laguna. My use is mostly with 1/4", and sometimes 3/8" mortises, and I find the 1/4" birdsmouth flexes too much, causing vibration. That is why I have been using router bits.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have found that vibration becomes an issue with either type of bit if I am too aggressive on the depth of cut. If I am making a 1" deep mortise, I will plunge the bit and sweep across maybe 8 to 10 times before I get to the bottom of the excavation.

As luck would have it, I ended up cutting some mortises this AM and thought I would post a pic purely for entertainment value: these were made with a 3/8" birdsmouth bit (Klein brand I believe). By the way, when I mentioned sweeping 8 to 10 times (above), I should have said "16 to 20 times".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil, are you talking about the same Klein I am thinking of (electrical lineman-type tools)? Reason is, I'm always looking for a good source on IMPERIAL birdsmouth bits. Thanks,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik: I believe its Systemi Klein out of Germany. Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Phil, are you talking about the same Klein I am thinking of (electrical lineman-type tools)? Reason is, I'm always looking for a good source on IMPERIAL birdsmouth bits. Thanks,

Erik

Gotcha, Phil. Thanks!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Haven’t bought from this vendor but it looks like they have imperial bird’s mouth, https://www.icscuttingtools.com/new-...rtise-bits.htm.

I find that lots of sweeping light passes do the best job with the birds mouths..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Haven’t bought from this vendor but it looks like they have imperial bird’s mouth, https://www.icscuttingtools.com/new-...rtise-bits.htm.
    THANK YOU, Robert!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep