Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Climate & Glue

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

It works until Monsoon season .

The difference is known as wet bulb temp or the maximum cooling by evaporation. Back in the day I could ride my motorcycle across Death Valley in the Summer and would get the giggles because I could feel the heat boiling around me (115F or above) but I would be sitting in a pocket of cold air (60F to 70F) using nothing but proper clothing, a little water, and good technique. Tank to tank in comfort, I put many miles on the motorcycle that way. It didn't work as well when I would ride to Lafayette for some Gumbo but did work some even then.

ken
    After 25 years of living here, and only 2 years of having a/c, I know we'll how to make swamps work, even during monsoon. It's all about air exchange.

In this case, it'd both lower the temp but more importantly raise rh, thus extending open time.

I have this innate fear of swamps in rhee shop. Although, intellectually I know why it works and is safe, emotionally I can't get over blowing water vapor over my tools. I do have a portable A.C which seems to generate as much heat as cooling. Are not swamps large items that have to sit outside and blow in?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I have this innate fear of swamps in rhee shop. Although, intellectually I know why it works and is safe, emotionally I can't get over blowing water vapor over my tools. I do have a portable A.C which seems to generate as much heat as cooling. Are not swamps large items that have to sit outside and blow in?

Curt,

Check your local Home Depot. They usually carry all sizes of portable swamp coolers. They work and i had a mid sized one in my shop for several years but the space/efficiency trade off was not worth the space. Of course YMMV.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    The current portable I have is 42" high (on it's wheels), 28" wide and 18" deep and easily pushes against a wall. It cools about 1300sq ft without having to do things like toss ice blocks in the water.

As you can see, it's not huge. It can be connected via hose, but it also has a 14gal reservoir. It generally lives behind the door. Having one that's not appropriately sized (in CFM) does make it a waste of space. After 25 years of having swamp cooled houses/shops, the only rust I have on anything came from a roof leak while my tools were in storage last year. The Rh is typically lower than anyplace on th east coast.

Last edited by mike stenson; 06-01-2020 at 1:02 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    The current portable I have is 42" high (on it's wheels), 28" wide and 18" deep and easily pushes against a wall. It cools about 1300sq ft without having to do things like toss ice blocks in the water.

As you can see, it's not huge. It can be connected via hose, but it also has a 14gal reservoir. It generally lives behind the door. Having one that's not appropriately sized (in CFM) does make it a waste of space. After 25 years of having swamp cooled houses/shops, the only rust I have on anything came from a roof leak while my tools were in storage last year. The Rh is typically lower than anyplace on th east coast.

Mike,

Love your shop dog, ain't nothing in life as good as a good dog.

Mine was a little larger than yours but then even yours would take up too much space, Right now I'm finishing up a project in the back garden just so I have room to work, I know the real answer is to get rid of "stuff" but...

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

Love your shop dog, ain't nothing in life as good as a good dog.

Mine was a little larger than yours but then even yours would take up too much space, Right now I'm finishing up a project in the back garden just so I have room to work, I know the real answer is to get rid of "stuff" but...

ken
    Yea, but this thing is still much more efficient, and smaller than the cooler that finally rusted out (bought in 2000 I think). Basically instead of having one cooling media, this has 3, so it's really much better by far. Eventually I'll install a cooler outside on a pad. I gotta get water plumbed out there first as I actually have the cooler. Then this will be used for the porch

FWIW, you should see the other side of the shop right now. I'm still just moving things around to make space to work (and still working on getting insulation installed).

I'd contemplate a mini-split, but to do that I'd need to add another service entrance, and I really do not want to go there.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut