Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post what woodworking tools in general, you wish you hadn't have purchased!

Post what woodworking tools in general, you wish you hadn't have purchased!

Just what the title says! My list would take me hours to compose, so let's limit it to just two (and not the $5.00 new items that always seem to follow us home): First is an ECE frame saw. I just could never get used to not using my western-styled handsaws. Second would be the various scratch stocks that I never seem to apply enough time to get to work acceptably.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Woodjoy Bow Saws. I’ve got the large and small. These are too big to be considered turning saws. Beautiful tools but I’ve never gotten the hang of them, probably because I haven’t put the time in to do so. Like you, I don’t see anything that my numerous western handsaws and backsaws can’t do. Or for that matter my bandsaw or scrollsaw.

Blog Entries
    Biscuit jointer - Sold it but could have used it a time or two in the nearly 20 years since I sold it.
    Cheap dovetail jig - Sold it. I can do them faster by hand and I am pretty poor at it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

$100 delta scrollsaw. Kreg pocket hole set.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Cheap sandpaper, peachtree and wood river cabinet clamps. Cheap screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Just what the title says! My list would take me hours to compose, so let's limit it to just two (and not the $5.00 new items that always seem to follow us home): First is an ECE frame saw. I just could never get used to not using my western-styled handsaws. Second would be the various scratch stocks that I never seem to apply enough time to get to work acceptably.
    That exact same frame saw. It looks impressive hanging on the tool wall but that’s it.

I’m going to go with a dovetail jig. I’ve never used it. Haven’t even had the desire to use it. Of the dozen drawers I’ve done, I basically butt jointed or finger jointed and never looked back. None of my clients have ever complained (They’re family after all.)

Another vote for dovetail jig. And the 15 gallon compressor I finally managed get rid of.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I have a dovetail jig. Somewhere.......

Blog Entries
    My dovetail jig was used once for a test fit. Hand cutting seemed easier.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Any jig for cutting dovetails.

Sharp saws cut straight.

Bloody Holtey!

The shavings are too thin. And it's impossible to avoid fingerprints!

It's going back ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Biscuit joiner. Never really used it and now I have a Domino which is better than a biscuit. I should try to sell it.

Way back I bought a Rockler fixed finger dovetail jig. Took too long to set up and I just never used it. Sold it. Now I do dovetails by hand.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

ECE Primus planes. They work really nicely, if you plane really slowly. If you try to get something done, the spring makes them chatter the worst of anything cutting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Biscuit joiner. Never really used it and now I have a Domino which is better than a biscuit. I should try to sell it.
    Mike
    Mike, I find this interesting. So many sold their biscuit joiners and purchased a domino. Obviously they think that they do the same thing and that dominos are better than biscuits.

Well, I don't. I think that they do different things and have strengths and weaknesses which compliment each other. So I have a DeWalt joiner and a Festool Domino 500.

Have you attempted to join mitred ends with a domino? It would poke a hole through the sides of 3/4" boards and thinner. Now a biscuit is long and low, like a spline. Ideal.

Want to align boards in a panel? Dominos are overkill. No need to mortice that deeply. The extra strength is unnecessary - it's just alignment. The biscuit is ideal.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-13-2020 at 10:08 AM.