Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Extend power cord on PM 60HH jointer

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    Now I'm wishing I had bought a better jointer, but which one, I don't know. I researched until my eyes bled and my brain gave out and this seemed like one of the best options. People say powermatic has gone down hill, and baileigh, and laguna are just the same Chinese machines as grizzly sells. Who knows, maybe there isn't a good choice.
    Right there with you, didn't see a lot of differences unless I stepped up to a 12". I looked at the Powermatic PJ882HH but it's overpriced, a dated design and the internet is lit up with quality complaints. Seems like CHINA/Taiwan Powermatic machines are either really good or total garbage. You couldn't give me one of their lame table saws. Yet I purchased a PM2028EVS 20" drill press and that thing is a work of art in design, features and build quality. Shockingly, the table (massively overbuilt and rigid) and the cast iron insert is absolutely dead flat. The table plastic insert is laughable, as is the table 90 degree locating pin but I dial mine in with a Starrett spindle square so I don't really care. The rest is pure genius. Loving the innovative depth stop.

Just ran through the 8" jointers again, all are just rebranded variants of the same CHINA/Tawain jointer. The Laguna is the same as this Grizzly. I'm off to look at the 12".

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I'm kind of worried about using a 12 amp 3hp machine on a 30 amp breaker
    After giving this more thought I think you are fine. The flip side of these electrical specs is the inrush current at startup. I have a 3hp 220v 15amp cyclone dust collector. The manual specifies a 20amp breaker and it came with a 12 awg cord and 6-20 plug. Laughable, at startup it pulls north of 50-60 amps and trips a 20 amp breaker. I have it running via a 10/3 cord to a 30 amp twist lock outlet and 30 amp breaker. Interestingly my 3hp bandsaw, which lists an inrush current of 55 amps came with a 6-15 plug and specified a 20 amp breaker. Not sure how much this jointer pulls on startup Grizzly doesn't list it. I could put my Fluke on it and check.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    I looked at the Powermatic PJ882HH but it's overpriced, a dated design and the internet is lit up with quality complaints.
    Then I looked a LOT closer at all the 8" jointers, inspected a Powermatic PJ882HH in person and purchased it on the spot!