Thread: Removing paint from cast iron saw table top

Removing paint from cast iron saw table top

Not the whole table but the DPO painted the cast iron blade insert. I would like to remove the paint without damaging the ground surface. It is only 17x4.5 inches so I will soak it in some old paint remover. I will then sandblast the bottom but how to deal with the top. A light scrape and wire brush should get most of it off. But, what about the paint stuck in the pores or will this be a non-issue?
    Bill D.
    FYI: paint is not nearly as frictionless as waxed cast iron.
    PPS: An old plastic tackle box is great for soaking stuff.

Blog Entries
    I would try sanding a small area. If it works, a pad sander might be useful.

I'd start with paint strippers. Darn near nothing is going to bother the cast iron. After the stripper, wax the ground surface and you're good to go.

What in heavens name is DPO?

Angle grinder, wire cup wheel, scotch brite pad.

I agree with Jamie, paint stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'd start with paint strippers. Darn near nothing is going to bother the cast iron. After the stripper, wax the ground surface and you're good to go.

What in heavens name is DPO?

Dipstick Previous Owner?? 😏
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Paint in the pores is a hell of a lot better than stripper stuck in the pores. If you use a chemical stripper, make a big effort to neutralize it or you will have to fight rust for a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    Dipstick Previous Owner?? 

That was my guess ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are all number of appropriate names or adjectives starting with D to describe the Previous Owner.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Dumb previous owner..learned from a previous wwing site. There is also a 6" long shallow groove routed into the table, left of the blade. To be filled by jb weld just to keep sawdust etc from accumulating.
    Bil lD

Zepp purple industrial grease remover.

Find a tub you can fit the piece in and submerged it overnight. This will be safer than paint stripper.

Don’t put it half in and half out as it could leave a etch line. Fully submerge it. If it floats weight it somehow.

Pull it out and take a angle grinder with a wire wire wheel to it.

Once that’s done dry it off and take a wire wheel and a Maroon scotch brite on the end of the wire wheel with some pb blaster to it. Then take a block of 3/4 mdf and maroon scotch brite pad And more on blaster to that working all in one direction or with the grind marks if grind marks are present. It will be good if not better than new. While the whole thing with denatures alcohol let it dry and wax it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Dumb previous owner..learned from a previous wwing site. There is also a 6" long shallow groove routed into the table, left of the blade. To be filled by jb weld just to keep sawdust etc from accumulating.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Naval Jelly removes paint even easier than it does rust. As a bonus it will clean up rust and provide a protective layer as well.
    I have some to clean up any rust that may show up on my cast iron tops. Some naval jelly and then a Brillo pad does a great job. A coating of wax afterwards and it does a great job of protecting the bare metal and keeping things smooth.

The first thing I'd try would be a propane torch, or a heat gun, to see if it will bubble the paint off. Not to burn it off, but see if it will release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Not the whole table but the DPO painted the cast iron blade insert. I would like to remove the paint without damaging the ground surface. It is only 17x4.5 inches so I will soak it in some old paint remover. I will then sandblast the bottom but how to deal with the top. A light scrape and wire brush should get most of it off. But, what about the paint stuck in the pores or will this be a non-issue?
    Bill D.
    FYI: paint is not nearly as frictionless as waxed cast iron.
    PPS: An old plastic tackle box is great for soaking stuff.

I'd use aircraft paint stripper in conjunction with a scraper and some steel wool. Be sure to wear protective gloves and safety glasses - you don't want to get any of the stripper into your eye.
    David

I was way overthinking this. Overnight soak in paint remover than a wire wheel made it look pretty good. Then the ROS with about 100 grit for now. I will use it as is and sandblast the backside when I have a few days to let the paint harden. It is uneven and mottled looking but as good or better then the rest of the top. I am surprised to realize I have to put on the right side extension wing or the cabinet is open for 2-3 inches which will harm dust collection.
    Bil lD