Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop inline router tables? Sawstop's vs Woodpeckers?

Sawstop inline router tables? Sawstop's vs Woodpeckers?

Hi all!

I've decided to get some space back in my shop and sell off my Woodpecker router table (once Covid19 gets under control), and replace it with an inline table off the right wing on my Sawstop PCS. Anyone have experience with Sawstop's own inline router table? Or the Woodpecker's one? I'm leaning toward the Woodpecker solution, as I can use my Super Fence from my current table, plus the base plate (which works in either). Woodpecker's downdraft DC box is a touch larger too, which I think will fit my Triton TRA001 without any need to modify it.

TIA!

Corey

I have the SawStop router table on the right side of my PCS, but don't know the Woodpecker one to compare to. The SS model seems just fine to me, it of course matches up to the saw table perfectly, etc. The DC box is very good at dust collection, and is virtually empty of dust. It's containing my 3-1/4 PC router. But yes, I use the SS router fence on it, and have to remove the fence periodically when I need the table for extra saw space. If I were able to share that fence, it would be nice.

Does anyone know if you have the Sawstop PCS with the 52" rails, can you still add the router table to the right of the saw? How will the rails attach?

To my understanding yes you can add it to the 52" rails, though double check with SS. On my 36" table, you remove a 16" section of melamine or whatever material that table is, and replace it with the cast iron router table top. The bolts from the rails now go into the router table. So the net result is the whole package is the same length as when you started.

The sawstop inline router table is very solid and I think very reasonably priced for what you get. It can be mounted left or right of the blade. I have it to the right replacing the melamine table insert. Everything moves beautifully on the ICS mobile base.

The SS router table extension is very similar to the Benchdog I have, except the latter's opening is the narrower width to fit Rockler's inserts and lifts (of which I have the Incra Mast-r-lift-II-R to match it). Both extensions have a T-slot machined alongside the miter gauge slot.

The Benchdog also has two sets of slots for mounting the fence either inboard or outboard of the router. The SS, like most other router table extensions, has only one set of fence slots, for mounting the fence inboard of the router. Using the SS on the right side of the blade, you will work from the end or the rear of the table saw to feed stock to the router. Using the SS on the left side of the blade, you will work from the end or the front of the table saw to feed stock to the router, and if you have a suitably wide outfeed table on the saw, you can use it to support outfeed from the router as well.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Well, I don't know where I've been - I have a PCS-36", am considering buying a router table and lift (been thinking Kreg), and didn't know that Sawstop had the router table option. Does this table have a lift built in? Given a mounting on the right, it appears the dust collecting tube would interfere with movement?

I have the SS inline table on a 36" PCS with a Woodpeckers plate and lift mechanism. It does everything I ask of it. I removed the Formica insert and put it in its place, without the additional insert. It lines up perfectly with the full 36" rip capacity.

Two things - 1. If your PCS is older than ~ 3 years (pre SS adding the router tables to their line) the bolt holes in the rails will not sync up with the router table, and 2. The Triton router will not fit in the SS dust collection box.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Well, I don't know where I've been - I have a PCS-36", am considering buying a router table and lift (been thinking Kreg), and didn't know that Sawstop had the router table option. Does this table have a lift built in? Given a mounting on the right, it appears the dust collecting tube would interfere with movement?
    SawStop has the cast iron table and it is made to fit their excellent router lift. It is easily the most robust lift I've seen, with 4 threaded posts supporting a heavy aluminum motor bracket. I don't know if their table fits other lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    SawStop has the cast iron table and it is made to fit their excellent router lift. It is easily the most robust lift I've seen, with 4 threaded posts supporting a heavy aluminum motor bracket. I don't know if their table fits other lifts.
    It does. The opening in the SawStop router table is 9.25" x 11.75", which as far as I know is kind of the standard size in the US. JessEm and Woodpecker, at least, will fit.

Thanks for the replies. Ended up going with the Woodpeckers extension table. Their dust box fits the triton, so that sealed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    It does. The opening in the SawStop router table is 9.25" x 11.75", which as far as I know is kind of the standard size in the US. JessEm and Woodpecker, at least, will fit.
    That is the most common size; however, Rockler (including Benchdog) tables, inserts and lifts are 8-1/4" x 11-3/4". The Incra Mast-R-Lift-II-R lift is Rockler-sized. The Incra Mast-R-Lift-II is the more standard size mentioned above.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

The Sawstop router table didn’t exist when I got my Sawstop so I bought the Peachtree cast iron router table that is installed at the right end of my saw. I selected the Peachtree router table because it used the larger Woodpecker router plates that I already owned. The Peachtree router top is dead flat and overall good quantity. Another option for you.

Well, as a follow up, I'd like to give my opinion on the Woodpeckers inline router table on a Sawstop PCS. It doesn't work. At all. I was led to believe this was a perfect fit, and no adjustment to my rails would be necessary (I have the updated rails that accept the miter slot for Sawstop's router table) So that was the first thing. I relented and decided I would notch the rails and move on, no big deal. They require 2 extra supports to help hold the table if you're on a mobile base. The problem is, they attach on the fence ruler rail, and then don't allow the ruler to be reinstalled, as the bolts throw the holes out of alignment with the fence. Thankfully, I didn't cut my rails. I'm pretty unhappy with all this, as you can imagine. I had sold my stand-alone router table this week in preparation for this. Now I'm out of a router table, and my table saw is in pieces, ugh. And to add insult to injury, Woodpeckers doesn't offer RMAs, so I have to foot the shipping on the return, which isn't going to be cheap, as this thing is large and heavy.

So, I've now ordered the Sawstop router table. That's 2 weeks out, until I receive it. Well, better get to trying to figure how to puzzle this packaging back together.

Thanks for listening to my rant, hah

I would like to see photos of the issues, if possible.