Thread: Rubios Monocoat, have some 'nibs' after drying, thoughts on taking them out?

Question Rubios Monocoat, have some 'nibs' after drying, thoughts on taking them out?

Hi All,

Recently finished two walnut tops with rubios monocoat. I water popped them, applied a coat waited 48 hours and saw the walnut had a few thirsty spots so I did a very light sanding at 600 grit, deep clean up and then a second light coat. The top looks fantastic now but doesn't 'feel' fantastic. There are definitely some nibs or raised fibers. I noticed this before the second coat as well but the 600 grit sanding took that out. I'm wondering if maybe I should very lightly go over the tops with 1200 or even 2000 grit after 7 days once the finish is fully cured. I've also got some #0000 steel wool i could use.

Has anyone run into this with rubios or maybe osmo?

Try using a flat piece of kraft paper ( brown paper bag )to rub it.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

What are you applying the finish with?

For the kind of nibs I get, 1800 grit sandpaper does a good job of knocking them down. It is a very light sanding - just kinda dancing along the surface - and the fine grit is not enough to change the sheen.

I think the brown paper bag method may be similar, because most paper has clay in it. The clay serves as the abrasive.

In my experience, sandpaper does a good job of knocking off nibs, but steel wool does not. I can't explain that, but it's true.