Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Chisel Mortiser vs. Horizontal Mortiser

Hollow Chisel Mortiser vs. Horizontal Mortiser

Having a floor mounted hollow chisel mortiser was always on my bucket list. Now that I start looking I see they are not really widely available like they were 10 years ago or more. The PM is the only one I see and I am upset with PM because my splined handle bracket (cast) on my benchtop unit broke in two the other day and a replacement is not available.

I will start looking for a used one, but in the mean time I see that the horizontal mortisers seem to have taken on some popularity.

Does anyone know why the floor standing units seemed to have disappeared?

Anyone have any experience with the horizontal units?

Rick

I've used both and the horizontal slot mortiser is much easier and quicker to use. I have a Domino now so a slot mortiser is of less interest to me, but they can do more than a Domino can do - bigger/smaller, wider/deeper, etc.

Horizontal slot mortisers have been around forever, they're not just recent tools.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Plenty of old iron hollow chisel mortisers to be had, good for making rectangular mortises in edges to be mated with integral tenons. Horizontal slot mortisers make round-ended mortises in edges or ends well suited to spline tenons and reinforcing cope and stick joints, easy to set up and versatile.

There's a General 220 in CT, on Machinio. Drool worthy for sure.

Have you looked at the G0846? I would buy that one, but already have the G0540, which works fine for mortises as long as you don't need angles. Both are floor models.

I have never used a horizontal mortiser but I suspect they make nicer looking mortises like a router or domino. My hollow chisel (Jet benchtop) makes rougher mortises and is much more time consuming to setup and use than my domino XL. I make longer mortises with the domino by plunging repeatedly on about half inch intervals. It will cut mortises about 2 3/4 deep. The largest bit is 14mm (about 5/8). I really like the domino.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I have never used a horizontal mortiser but I suspect they make nicer looking mortises like a router or domino. My hollow chisel (Jet benchtop) makes rougher mortises and is much more time consuming to setup and use than my domino XL. I make longer mortises with the domino by plunging repeatedly on about half inch intervals. It will cut mortises about 2 3/4 deep. The largest bit is 14mm (about 5/8). I really like the domino.
    I agree with Jim. A Domino is essentially a portable slot mortiser. I'd spend the money on a Domino before I'd purchase a horizontal slot mortiser. I have the smaller Domino and it's met my needs so far.

I use it to make mortises for standard M&T joints, not just for loose tenons.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I agree with Jim. A Domino is essentially a portable slot mortiser. I'd spend the money on a Domino before I'd purchase a horizontal slot mortiser. I have the smaller Domino and it's met my needs so far.

I use it to make mortises for standard M&T joints, not just for loose tenons.

Mike
    Just out of curiosity, do you round the edges of the tenon, or square the ends of the mortise?

I like through tenons (tusked or not) so I'm looking at the PM 719T with tilt table. I like the idea of a tilted table better than a tilted head, motor, and perhaps more importantly, operating lever. I also have a project in mind that through mortises angled at 30 degrees (from perpendicular) which is within in the range of the 719T, but not of any of the tilt-head mortisers I've seen.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Unless you are making though tenons I see no reason to square the end of a mortise cut with a horizontal slot mortiser. So to answer your question, I round over the edges of the tenons when using integral tenons. Most of the time, however, I use loose tenons and I round over the edges of the tenon stock before cutting them to length. Much easier and more efficient for me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you round the edges of the tenon, or square the ends of the mortise?

I like through tenons (tusked or not) so I'm looking at the PM 719T with tilt table. I like the idea of a tilted table better than a tilted head, motor, and perhaps more importantly, operating lever. I also have a project in mind that through mortises angled at 30 degrees (from perpendicular) which is within in the range of the 719T, but not of any of the tilt-head mortisers I've seen.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    I generally don't do through tenons so I round over the corners of the tenon. Unless I was doing a LOT of through tenons, I'd probably make the mortises by hand.

Mike

On my first Covid-19 project I used the domino for the carcase joints and to make the drawers of a 9 drawer dresser. Both are through joints. The dominos in the carcase hold the dividers for the drawers to the sides and show on the outside. The tenons are loose and home made. They have rounded edges. I just cut scraps to rough thickness and finished width on the table saw and use my planner to sneak up on finished thickness. Then the edges are rounded on the router table and cut to length on the table saw on a little sled made for this. The time involved is almost all setup so I try to make extra sticks for next time. The dresser used 5mm and 6mm tenons. A 1/8 round over bit works well. 12mm is almost 1/2 an inch so a 1/4 round over works great.

The pictures show a typical drawer joint and one side of the dresser upside down. The round shapes are plugs over screws, the dominos are the oblong shapes. The dresser is a bit of an experiment. I did not worry about wood movement. I may regret that but so far it is fine.

The domino mortises are very clean and precise in size. Very suitable for through tenons as long as the rounded edges do not bug you. The bits also did not break out on the second side even with no backer.

I've also used my XL to make 14mm wide mortises that were about 6 inches long in a crib. The tenons were traditional, I just rounded the edges with a rasp. When it doesn't show the round over isn't critical to make look nice. In my cherry bed, I used a bunch of 12mm thick by about 3 inches wide loose tenons I made of cherry scraps. I prefer the loose tenons because it avoids the need for cheek cuts which I find to be a little iffy. I often have to fine tune with a shoulder plane. The loose tenon avoids the extra work.

Angled mortises are not usually an issue for a domino. The fence adjusts easily to other angles than 90 degrees. I've only done miters so far and made a little jig for that. I don't know what you need to make but I am confident a domino can do it but you might have to dream up a jig.

You appear to have space if you are thinking floor standing but I do not. I like the fact the domino takes up so little shop space. But the main advantages are accurate mortises quickly and easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 05-13-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Old Iron HCMs as stated are relatively inexpensive. The domino is nice (I have a xl in addition to my hcm) but doesn't replace the need for a mortiser.

Domino replaced my mortiser in my shop. I haven't put it on Craigs list but I will. I am space limited but I see no need for the hollow chisel mortiser. Maybe if you really need square corner mortises but you could chisel a domino mortise.

I had a tilting spindle hollow chisel mortiser (General Int) that I specifically bought to do square holes for stair railing for our house I was doing and sold it after. Not something I would use regularly for mortises. I have used router jigs and in the past few years since I got Domino XL it will do 99% (or more!) of the tasks I'd need.
    I considered buying a slot mortiser attachment for my J/P combo but don't see much value given Domino (yes, Domino Rocks!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Domino replaced my mortiser in my shop. I haven't put it on Craigs list but I will. I am space limited but I see no need for the hollow chisel mortiser. Maybe if you really need square corner mortises but you could chisel a domino mortise.
    Sash is the first thing that comes to mind where a domino will not work. Really anywhere where the part is too small or delicate for a floating tenon, or where you need a square shaped mortise (not talking about the corners)