Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hollow Chisel Mortiser vs. Horizontal Mortiser

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    Okay, I'll be the dummy; what is a "swing chisel mortiser"?

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I have found little need for a domino, personally. I have a router, milling machine, hollow chisel mortiser and a swing chisel mortiser. If I added another, given some change in the current amount of space available I would consider adding a Balestrini style mortiser for round ended tenons rather than something like a domino.
    Where you might find it convenient is for things like large surface assembly and glue up...the portable tool is a lot easier to work with on long and heavy stock that is typical of those kinds of things. The knock-down features are also nice if required for a project. You (you personally) would get less benefit from Domino/Domino XL for other joinery because of the two amazing mortisers you already have reconditioned and put into use in your operation. If you haven't played with one, we can do that next time you visit if you want to.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nevermind, found the following video that shows how it works (about halfway through)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Kk8wD-D7A

Kinda sorta like a domino mortiser, but with a funky chisel, not a rotating bit. It creates rectangular mortises, but with the bottom slightly radiused. Very interesting!

Oops, thanks for the informative replies.

Does anyone make a "portable" swing chisel mortiser that clamps onto the work?

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Last edited by Andy D Jones; 05-15-2020 at 1:07 PM.

Andy, that's an interesting observation. I would have said the only thing they have in common is the oscillation, but I guess there's no reason you couldn't mortise the end of a rail for a spline tenon. Each size of mortise (width x thickness) requires a separate and I would guess not inexpensive tool. I'm not aware of a portable unit.

A round end tenoner is best paired with a round end oscillating slot mortiser, so Brian may wind up with 3 mortisers shoehorned into his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice work, Joe. Great looking doors.

I have found little need for a domino, personally. I have a router, milling machine, hollow chisel mortiser and a swing chisel mortiser. If I added another, given some change in the current amount of space available I would consider adding a Balestrini style mortiser for round ended tenons rather than something like a domino.
    Thanks Brian,
    I have a Domino but only use it for odd joinery. Mostly connecting curve door and window parts that are difficult or too large to get to the mortiser. It would be tedious doing a lot of mortising with one. However they are a ideal mortiser for the hobby - home type shop with limited machinery.
    the DM is becoming my favorite mortiser now with my reduced work load.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    Nevermind, found the following video that shows how it works (about halfway through)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Kk8wD-D7A

Kinda sorta like a domino mortiser, but with a funky chisel, not a rotating bit. It creates rectangular mortises, but with the bottom slightly radiused. Very interesting!

Oops, thanks for the informative replies.

Does anyone make a "portable" swing chisel mortiser that clamps onto the work?

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Andy, don’t think it would be possible to have a portable swing chisel Maka type mortiser. There is a lot of pressure on the chisel requiring high clamping pressure of the workpiece. I had a piece come out of the Maka once and it went airborne with tremendous velocity. They make portable chain mortisers and I believe portable HC mortisers.

I purchased the Grizzly G0840 about a year ago and I'm pleased with it's performance so far.
    g0840-8d8fa679b146e4e776ce7bdb8f8f1f10.jpg