Thread: Stop dissing on the #75

Stop dissing on the #75

I have provided two photos about the #75. The first shows the relationship between the nose and the sole. It was made that way on purpose not coplanner. The second shows curls off of an edge. Pretty even same width off an edge that had not been planed before. This plane indexes off of the main sole not the nose. It may be referred to as a bullnose rabbet plane but in the true sense it is not ment to do anything more than clean up on rabbets. Think chisel plane. It excels at some things. Trimming line and berry work, trimming dowels and plugs. Fretwork that goes behind glass where a slight hump will be reflected by the glass and trimming those bits of crud from rabbets where you don’t want to go deeper. As well will work on tenons and such. It’s also smaller than most chisel planes. It touches a very small area. If you use it as intended it can be your friend. Sharp and adjusted to be level with the sole and don’t try to use the nose like you would with another type of plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, if you’re not supposed to use the nose, why does it have one? Not trying to be sarcastic here; I am curious to hear your thoughts.

With the nose set close it gives the blade a chance to break a chip. The nose also will ride up a bit on a higher lump and give the blade a chance at cutting instead of just jamming to a stop. If you have ever worked with a chisel plane it is similar. The cut is indexed by the main sole of a chisel plane. If you try to take a deep cut with a chisel plane it can raise a long splinter or dig in and stop cutting. Hope this explains it some.

Hmm. Of the 80+ planes I have, I don't have a 75. I may have to find one... See why so many hate them.....
    I do have a disease. Collecting planes. I been sick a long time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Hmm. Of the 80+ planes I have, I don't have a 75. I may have to find one... See why so many hate them.....
    Jim Bode has one for $30 shipped in tonight's email. (If you buy it quick, you may save me from scratching the same itch. )
    Last edited by David Bassett; 05-13-2020 at 12:24 AM. Reason: better wording

Great post James. It explains the correct use for the 75 which might not have been clear to alot of people, myself included.

Blog Entries
    Yes, great post James.

Some of my #75s appeared to be coplanar between the toe and heel.

One had another interesting trait shown here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?129959

The ninth post has pictures of some other similar rabbet planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What of the Stanley #90? Is its nose supposed b coplanar or similar to the 75? I have one and I gave up on trying to get it to work so long ago, I just remembered it because of its mention earlier in this thread! It is a UK made one and late vintage.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    What of the Stanley #90? Is its nose supposed b coplanar or similar to the 75? I have one and I gave up on trying to get it to work so long ago, I just remembered it because of its mention earlier in this thread! It is a UK made one and late vintage.
    My experience with the #90 is it works best if there is room to register the back part of the sole. My #93 took a little fettling, but it works better for a shoulder plane or a rabbet plane. Trimming tenon cheeks is easier with a #93 than a #90.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Save your money. By the time I was through fettling my #75, it was tuned like a Swiss watch and sharp as a razor. It was still all but worthless as a user tool.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I put together a little demo of photos for the #75. When I get a chance in the next day or so I’ll post it. As far as I know the 75 is the only plane that is not coplaner. In the wild you will find many that have been ground down to level the toe and the sole. I believe some of the copies are made that way. As I remember Patrick Leach mentions this in his write up about the 75. I have to say that I did not discover this on my own. A wise old mentor I had years ago schooled me on how to use this odd little beast. There was a recent post about a 75 that someone was trying to level it up and use as a rabbet plane. I’m sure they will find no joy in that. I can and have cut small rabbets with it really not worth the effort. You have to start the rabbet wit a chisel to have a base to set the plane on.

Blog Entries
    I can and have cut small rabbets with it really not worth the effort. You have to start the rabbet wit a chisel to have a base to set the plane on.
    Actually it is easier than that:

Marking for Rabbet:Rebate.jpg

Make a deep mark with a pin gauge. Then set the plane's sole/side corner into the gauge mark to start:

Starting a Rabbet:Rebate.jpg

It is important to make sure the side of the blade is only lightly proud of the side of the plane body.

After a few cuts it should be possible to start lowering the angle of the plane to cut the rabbet using the gauge line as your fence:

Ohio Cutting Rabbet:Rebate.jpg

If the blade isn't proud your rabbet will start moving out of the cut with an angled wall. Too proud and it will move the wall into the work. Once it is right, sweet success.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Actually it is easier than that:

Marking for Rabbet:Rebate.jpg

Make a deep mark with a pin gauge. Then set the plane's sole/side corner into the gauge mark to start:

Starting a Rabbet:Rebate.jpg

It is important to make sure the side of the blade is only lightly proud of the side of the plane body.

After a few cuts it should be possible to start lowering the angle of the plane to cut the rabbet using the gauge line as your fence:

Ohio Cutting Rabbet:Rebate.jpg

If the blade isn't proud your rabbet will start moving out of the cut with an angled wall. Too proud and it will move the wall into the work. Once it is right, sweet success.

jtk
    Yes Jim, That is actually how I learned to cut rabbets. I did a post a few years ago about how pleased I was with my LV jack rabbet plane lending itself very well to that technique. However the #75 does not work using that technique because of the blade not protruding below the sole when set properly.