Thread: Sherwood/WoodRiver Drill Press Fence Kit

Sherwood/WoodRiver Drill Press Fence Kit

When I purchased the Nova Voyager drill press as a Black Friday discount in November 2019, one of the discounts was a complementary Nova fence (this usually sells as an accessory). I built a table and added the Nova fence. The table is built from a 18" x 25" UHMW slab 30mm (1-1/4") thick I found in my local salvage yard.

It is a rather simple and basic fence. I found it too short. I also wanted to add dust extraction, and this looked like more more item to add (along with the Wixey laser and a table light - more in a while).

Then I came across the Sherwood drill press fence kit at Timbecon. This is badged WoodRover drill press table in the USA. There is a video made by WoodCraft ...

It looked to be all that the Nova fence was not. Specifically, it has length ...

It also has a sliding sub-fence, which opens up to a dust collection port ...

This will keep the dust and shavings down when drilling with all drill bits, especially forstner bits, and also should enable the drill to double as a spindle sander (I would not wish to use one without dust control.

Adjustment is at the rear ...

This works well using the T-track I had installed.

Here is the Wixey laser I installed earlier this year ...

The down light is a rechargeable bicycle light, which I attached with a rare earth magnet. You can see how well it works. Cheap too ...

The Nova Voyager is a really wonderful drill press, and the new fence looks like it will be a good match.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's pretty weird Derek. I was just looking at that very fence on Woodcraft's site this morning because of the dust collection. I'm figuring it's a lot easier to spend $80 than to figure out how to build the fence myself. I would want a second stop, but I don't know if that is offered as an accessory. Hopefully my local Woodcraft is open this week so I can look at it.

Nice idea adding the light. I haven't used my Voyager much yet, but I did want to light up the table somehow.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I like that setup...very practical. I've been thinking about doing a similar setup for my DP, especially since I seem to be using it more these days on certain kinds of projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, Brian echoed my thoughts when I saw this fence: it would cost more and require a lot of effort to attempt to put it together from parts. it is cheap for what it offers. I have always built fences (built the fence for my router table from aluminium section), but buying this was a no-brainer (but I forgot to ask for commission for this review ). It is well made and certainly does not feel cheap. The MDF sub-fence is not my idea of Heaven, but it makes sense - although a sliding aluminium sub-fence would definitely be sexier!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    This is terrific! I need to do something with my drill press. My setup is minimal and very poor. Thanks for posting this. I'll work towards this solution.

My drill press was pretty much the first piece of equipment that I souped up in my shop. I built an auxiliary table with a fence that was a quick adjustment. A LV machine tape in the fence and off I went. Saved me hours and hours over the years. Eventually I made a fixture for my dust collector hose that could be moved on the pillar or column, I agree those forstner and saw tooth bits cough up a lot of chips. I have recently replaced the drill press with a Bridgeport style mill which seems like overkill but it really has been fantastic. Super rigid, potential for great accuracy, generous work envelope and since I work in wood metal and plastic it always brings it to the task.

After wood working for several years and beginning to understand the equipment that we use I concluded that the drill press was the trickiest piece to buy right and a truly good one is north of $2500.00 CDN new anyways. I never saw that coming in the beginning.

Chris, I believe that the drill press is the most underrated machine in the workshop. My previous one was a basic 3/4 hp 16 speed Taiwanese machine I purchased 25 years ago. In addition to drilling holes accurately, it was a buffer, sander, grinder, sharpener, and (rather poor) milling machine. The Nova Voyager is something else again.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Chris, I believe that the drill press is the most underrated machine in the workshop. My previous one was a basic 3/4 hp 16 speed Taiwanese machine I purchased 25 years ago. In addition to drilling holes accurately, it was a buffer, sander, grinder, sharpener, and (rather poor) milling machine. The Nova Voyager is something else again.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I wholeheartedly agree Derek! Or because it's a drill press would that be "holeheartedly"? The chasm between consumer grade and industrial grade requires bags of $$$. Not that we need industrial for WWKg though. Is your Nova made by the same company that has made lathe chucks and centres? I bought some Nova woodturning accessories and I recall that they were made in your hemisphere. They were and still are working perfectly in my shop. If your DP is made by them then I bet it is great!

Chris, yes, the Nova Voyager drill press probably shares the same motor as the Nova Saturn lathe.

Both variable speed, 2 hp, direct drive. From New Zealand.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ah, neat! Thanks for responding to my question.

My drill press, a 16-1/2" Delta 17-965, has not been on any voyages, except from China to Amazon Tool Crib to me when I bought it in 2002. To change speeds you open the top and move 2 belts among 3 sheave sets. It has a legitimate 8-1/4" throat capacity, and at a humble 3/4 HP has never bogged down regardless of bit size, hole depth, or sanding drum diameter.

Delta drill press.jpg

I lived over fifteen years without a decent fence or table, so a few years ago I made this simple setup:

fence 1.jpg fence 2.jpg

The dust collection is a welcome convenience, but the fine 2-axis adjustability is the best part. I used the lower left setup to lock in the position of a round oak 5" handwheel. It also winds down about 24" or so for end holes.

If I had it to do again, I'd have left a recess in the middle of the fence for boring holes close to the edge of work. Derek's split fence idea is probably the optimum design. As it is, I prop the work up on plywood scrap layers as needed to raise it to near the top of the fence. Problem solved.

Like others on this thread, I also greatly appreciate the utilitarian value of a drill press in the shop. I used it to make cherry shelf pins for a cabinet I keep threatening to finish.

IMG_4687.jpg IMG_4688.jpg IMG_4690.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images