Thread: Food safe finish for wooden utensils

Food safe finish for wooden utensils

I was asked to make a wooden spoon for my wife’s co-worker. I’ve never made one before but learning something new is always fun!!! I built a jig that pivots a 4 1/2” angle grinder to scoop out the spoon and I’m going to turn the handle on the lathe. I have maple and Beech to use, if I’m successful I’m going to try olive wood next.

What finish should I use?

Thank you!

I like to use a mix of mineral oil and beeswax in a 4-1 ratio. Sometimes I heat the mix in the microwave and then just rub it in. The warm mix penetrates the wood better. Re-apply as needed. It goes without saying, never put wooden utensils in the dishwasher.

All currently sold clear film finishes are food safe once they have thoroughly dried. Not sure a film finish is suitable for a spoon though. Most wooden spoons are left unfinished or simply oiled. Mineral oil is inert (doesn't go rancid) and works well. It will need to be refreshed on a regular basis. Walnut oil might also be a good choice; it polymerizes and will be slightly more durable.

I’m not saying this is the best, just what I do. I raise the grain by getting the utensils wet after my final sanding, but before applying finish. I blot it dry and allow them to air dry before resanding with my last grit. I then let them soak over night in mineral oil. JMTC.

+1 to Tim's sanding process. I use walnut oil (Mahoney's, but there are other brands out there as well) which when dried gives a nice finish. Top that with mineral oil and beeswax. Giving a bit of that mix to the recipient will help them keep the spoon looking nice. Olive wood probably won't need anything beyond a nice buffing as it is an oily wood to begin with.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

6. Polymerized Linseed Oil is another option. Tried & True is the only brand that I am familiar with, but there's probably others out there. You can also make a mix with bees wax, similar to that using mineral oil.

Thank you everyone for your reply’s!

Nothing is the best finish for wood utensils that are being used a lot. I have some basswood spoons I made about 15 years ago. Still look good.

Kitchen Utensils

Shawn,

I too dabbled in spoons and things (spatulas, for one). I too made the cradle for an angle grinder, and have used beech among other woods. Attached is a picture of my sequence if you will of making the spoon. After cutting the spoon recess, I cut the blank on the bandsaw, leaving an 'ear' on the spoon end, which I gripped between two of the jaws on my chuck, visually aligning the centerline that I had put on the blank before making the recess. I put the handle end to the tailstock, and turned a little at the spoon recess (to slightly curve the sides) and turned the handle completely. Then I cut the ear off on the bandsaw and finished the business end of the spoon on my belt sander. Like several have said here, I raised the grain, finished the sanding, and then used Mahoney's walnut oil. If you'd like to PM me your address, I'll send a few of my blanks to get you started.

Take care, stay safe (in the shop and out), and, no pun intended, don't let your guard down! This pandemic's going to be with us for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association