Thread: Thoughts on attaching a laminted walnut top to these metal/automated legs?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thoughts on attaching a laminted walnut top to these metal/automated legs?

Hey All,

Been working on a simple laminated top build out of walnut, about 1 1/4 inch thick. Just applied a light second coat of Rubios Monocoat and now that's drying. Finally turning my attention to attaching the top to the frame. The frame raises and lowers so you can go from sitting to standing etc etc. I've been debating the best approach to attaching the top. I have a ton of figure 8 washers available to me but I'm not sure they'll be suited here because ideally the top would rest directly onto the frame and with the figure 8 washers the top would rest on the washers first. Each of the attachment points have rubber grommets that can be easily pulled out.

The desk is an L shape and I've made two separate tops, where the tops meet I plan to just use some simpson strong ties to bring them level to each other and to provide some additional support to the short side. Each of the attachment holes are 5/16ths in diameter. The grain patterns will run perpendicular between the tops.

Currently my thoughts are maybe to drill out the holes and make them wider and use a thinner screw than the diameter of the holes and some washers and 'snug them up' but I'm not so sure what diameter to drill to and if that would really work. Second option is just to do nothing, there are rubber grommets that are flexible, the opening on the rubber grommets are 1/4" in diameter, I could proceed with the same idea, get some really thin screws/washers and just snug them up and let the rubber compress (but not a ton of room there). I suppose a third option is just not worry about wood movement, there are a good amount of attachment points, however this being a laminated top the majority of the attachment points will run basically down the center of the center 'strips'.

The widths of the tops are 29 inches

I have some pictures, any help/advice is appreciated. I have a habit of overthinking and am wondering if just screwing the tops with a little wiggle room would be just fine... https://imgur.com/a/jcAFsN2

https://imgur.com/a/jcAFsN2
    Last edited by Jon Singh; 05-11-2020 at 3:17 AM.