Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collector remote switch & duct sizing?

Dust collector remote switch & duct sizing?

I'm slowly moving forward with my updated dust collection system after purchasing a used Oneida 3hp dust collector. A few questions however remain ...

I would like to install a switch on the DC operated by wireless remote. So far the iVac 220V model seems like a good choice. Any comments or suggestions on it? Any better solutions? The remote on my Powermatic DC has always been frustrating to use. You have to be practically in front of it to work. I would definitely like to improve on that.

As for duct sizing I decided to upgrade some of it to 8" primarily because the DC inlet is that size. The rest of the main runs will be 6" with 4" drops for the most part. The exceptions I'm considering are at the 12" jointer and 20" planer. Most sizing charts I've seen call for something larger than 4" but will that suffice in my limited hobby shop? The lathe is another puzzling area. The charts do not treat it as a high demand application but in my experience the chips that come off it are far more extensive than at my jointer or planer. What size duct do you recommend for a large lathe?

Steve have you asked Oneida about a retrofit of their remote? I have it on my (new) V3000 and it works quite well. Just thinking that might be another option to consider if they offer it.

I have the iVAC Pro Switch (220v version) and their iVAC Pro Tool Plus remote controlling my dust collection system. The remove works anywhere I have tried it in my shop.

BTW, make sure that that your Oneida 3hp dust collector matches the capacity of the iVAC Pro Switch, their web site says:
    "Typical Motor drive capability: 1.5HP at 115vac, 2.0HP at 240Vac"

I think they have other units. Best to call iVac.

You will likely be better served by using a contactor for your remote control because you can size it appropriately for your system. The iVac packeted gear is great for consumer machines, but not better for the larger stuff, IMHO. With a contactor, you can use whatever control method you choose including an inexpensive "Christmas tree" type remote since the control side of the contactor doesn't have any appreciable power draw. Here's how my system is setup:

I happen to use a fixed wall switch that's centrally located in my shop to turn the DC on and off, but again, this kind of thing is very flexible. You can use 120v for control with a simple switch like I did or use a cheap remote if that's your preference. You can also choose to use low voltage for control and do all kinds of things with remote switches or whatever.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Doesn't the Oneida have a magnetic switch?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Doesn't the Oneida have a magnetic switch?
    I am sure it does, which really makes it simple to install several start/stop stations where ever you want.

My Oneida doesn't have a magnetic starter or at least one wasn't included with my used purchase. I think it's a good idea to reach out to Oneida as a source for a remote setup and plan to do that this week. I'll also look into a magnetic switch or contactor for the installation. And yes, the iVac remote switch is only good to 2 hp according to their specs.

Another thought occurred to me regarding the installation ... The power source I plan to use for my DC is the one and only 20A, 240V circuit I have in the shop. It also serves most of my 240V machines (horizontal belt sander, lathe, planer and shaper). If my dust collector is started before using any of these machines will it be a problem? The 3hp DC FLA rating is 16A. I have a 30A circuit but it is only used for my 5hp SawStop.

Steve, you're going to be hurting with only one 240v 20a circuit...you need one dedicated to the cyclone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, you're going to be hurting with only one 240v 20a circuit...you need one dedicated to the cyclone.
    Dang! I was afraid of that. Well, I might as well do it right if at all. The additional problem that it imposes is all of the spaces are used up on my 100A shop panel. Looks like I'll have to upgrade it to something larger, which I was thinking of doing anyway.

Based on recommendations here and earlier posts on this site I plan to use a simple contactor as Mr. Becker describes. The motor has thermal overload protection so if I understand this stuff correctly a magnetic starter isn't really necessary. I put together something similar when installing a rotary phase converter.

Check ebay for used American made contractors. I prefer a used industrial unit to a modern made in China piece. I recommend 120 volt control voltage or 24 volts with a transformer. I would also install a pilot light so you can tell if the dc is shutoff and just coasting.
    Bill D

For your electrical problems I would go to Home Depot and pick up a SquareD Homeline 20 space 40 circuit main breaker load center as they only run about $75 and their Homeline breakers are super cheap. Under $10 for a double pole 20amp. Get your self how many ever feet of 12/2 wire and you are good to go.

I don’t have any good advice on how to implement a wireless remote switch.

Blog Entries
    Get the Oneida mag contactor with their wireless remote control.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    For your electrical problems I would go to Home Depot and pick up a SquareD Homeline 20 space 40 circuit main breaker load center as they only run about $75 and their Homeline breakers are super cheap. Under $10 for a double pole 20amp. Get your self how many ever feet of 12/2 wire and you are good to go.

I don’t have any good advice on how to implement a wireless remote switch.
    Is this what you were referring to?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...0PRB/204836359

The panel that I now have is a Square D with Homeline breakers so most of those can probably be reused. I'm a little apprehensive about changing out an entire electrical panel but would like to do it myself. I gained a little confidence by wiring most of the circuits on the existing panel and even installed a 3 phase panel and wiring to a rotary phase converter. Am I making more out of this than needs be? Regardless, thanks for the nudge Bobby!
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 05-11-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Get the Oneida mag contactor with their wireless remote control.
    It's not on their website but I emailed them to find out current availability. Thanks!