Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on cabinet plans

Looking for feedback on cabinet plans

I'm going to be building laundry area cabinets as my first woodworking project and I wanted to see if I can get feedback on my plans. I want to be confident that I'm approaching this in the right way and am not overlooking anything. After a ton of sketching and erasing I've loosely put my plan to paper. I'm not sure if I sketched it the right way, but it's what made sense at that moment. Once I'm set on this part of the plan I will be sketching out the individual boxes and their dimensions.

As a note since I forgot to write it on the sketch, I'd like the cabinet above the washer to be 30" depth so it sits flush with the washer. The other two cabinets I'd ideally have be 26" or 24" deep.

For the construction I bought some 3/4" baltic birch plywood for the sides and bottom, and 1/4" for the back. I'll be using maple for the door stiles and rails and more of the 1/4" baltic birch for the panels. Right now for the two tall cabinets I'm leaning towards glued dados with screws for the cabinet bottom as well as the shelf divide between the upper and lower cabinets. For the top of the tall cabinet I'm thinking rabbet with glue and screws. I'm thinking a brace at the top, and middle, of the back of the tall cabinets sitting behind the 1/4" backing. The smaller cabinet will be rabbets with glue and screws and just one brace. Inside the large cabinet I'd like to have pull out shelving in the main portion and a shelf in the upper area.

I have some concerns about this plan and I don't know if I'm overthinking it, or if they're valid. Is a 96" cabinet with sliding shelves too big as a single cabinet? None of the stuff that gets stored in there is particularly heavy, but I want to be cautious as I don't want my cause of death to be "crushed by homemade cabinet while trying to pull out a roll of toilet paper".

Running a dado across the width of a 96" panel seems like it could be a real challenge on a table saw. I could see it getting a bit wobbly and ending up with an uneven line. Is that realistic?

Forgot to mention I'm thinking 3/4" fillers on the sides and top. Math was never my forte and fractions less so. I still need to work out the inner dimension of my cabinets and I hope they're not a completely obnoxious fraction for me to deal with.

IMG_2566.jpg

The current space, what a mess.

IMG_2567.jpg

Really appreciate all feedback and perspectives. People were super helpful on my earlier simple question about rulers.

Blog Entries
    Sliding one or even two tall cabinets into that space will likely be a problem. I would suggest making one wide cabinet for the top and a second cabinet for the left side. There really isn't a reason to build a cabinet around the washer and dryer unless you really want to try to hide them. Recesses such as shown in the photo are rarely square nor plumb. Anchor the upper cabinet to the structure above and in the walls to support it. Then fit in the lower cabinet. Unless you plan to build the cabinet in place moving a 96" tall 38" wide by 30+ inch deep cabinet from your shop to the recess will be a challenge if not impossible. If you make it one really big cabinet, there is no way to get it from your work area to the location unless you lay it on its side and then standing it up could be impossible.

Before you start you need to decide on how the doors will be hung and what sort of hinges you will use. As drawn you will need inset hinges for no face frame.

Yes cutting a dado on a table saw across a 48" width of a full sheet of plywood is going to be difficult without a competent helper and a large table surface. I would suggest a router and clamped on straight edge.

You also need to consider how you will connect the washer drain and the dryer duct. A long flexible dryer duct is not the way to go, despite what the flexible duct advertising will tell you.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-10-2020 at 7:12 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd suggest making your cabinet 1/2" narrower than the space and adding a trim strip on the edges that can be scribed to the wall. Chances are great that the walls aren't perfectly flat and straight. Trying to fit a 60" cabinet into a space that was, at places, 59-3/4" was quite a challenge in our bathroom.

Granted you could hook up the washer and dryer prior to installing the cabinets. Installing the cabinet above the washer & dryer after they are installed is possible though not easy. Keep in mind if you ever need to clean the dryer vent and you will, or replace the washer & dryer disconnecting the old and connecting the new ones will be very challenging.

And as Lee has said the flexible dryer vent is not the way to go. It collects a lot of lint because of the rough interior surface.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I would bring the cabinets 1" down from the furdown/ceiling. Add a trim strip to the top and I agree give yourself some scribe room on the side of the tall cabinet and upper above the appliance for scribe. Also are you going to be able to stand the tall unit up in the room without binding with your ceiling? Possibly have a separate toe kick. Scale the side of the tall cabinet on the side view from corner to corner and make sure you have room to stand them up after you dolly them into the room.

I like using 1 1/2" fillers just in case they need to be trimmed between walls. Trimming a 3/4" filler can be a challenge sometimes.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Sliding one or even two tall cabinets into that space will likely be a problem. I would suggest making one wide cabinet for the top and a second cabinet for the left side. There really isn't a reason to build a cabinet around the washer and dryer unless you really want to try to hide them. Recesses such as shown in the photo are rarely square nor plumb. Anchor the upper cabinet to the structure above and in the walls to support it. Then fit in the lower cabinet. Unless you plan to build the cabinet in place moving a 96" tall 38" wide by 30+ inch deep cabinet from your shop to the recess will be a challenge if not impossible. If you make it one really big cabinet, there is no way to get it from your work area to the location unless you lay it on its side and then standing it up could be impossible.

Before you start you need to decide on how the doors will be hung and what sort of hinges you will use. As drawn you will need inset hinges for no face frame.

Yes cutting a dado on a table saw across a 48" width of a full sheet of plywood is going to be difficult without a competent helper and a large table surface. I would suggest a router and clamped on straight edge.

You also need to consider how you will connect the washer drain and the dryer duct. A long flexible dryer duct is not the way to go, despite what the flexible duct advertising will tell you.
    Thank you, I hadn't even thought about the height being an issue with transport until you mentioned that, and it likely will be. I should have mentioned that the washer/dryer will be have the front exposed but the upper cabinet will sit flush above it and I want a panel running down the left side that is also 30" depth. I can tell you for certain that recess is definitely not square nor plumb. I had a similar opening in my dining room that we purchased cabinets for and turned into a bar, it was a lot of shimming.

I plan on using the Clip Top Blumotion hinges from Blum throughout along with the tandem system for the drawers that pull out. I got a craig jig for the hinges but will have to try to make my own for the drawer rails. I don't want to pay $100 for that Blum one.

Makes sense on the router and straight edge. I know my dad has a router as well as a long clamping straight edge that we can use, though I don't think he has the right bit. Do you have any brand/model suggestions? Also, do I need to be concerned with the width of the bit not perfectly matching the plywood thickness? I was reading that ply thickness can vary a lot between manufacturers and I'd need to account for that with my dados.

The washer and dryer are actually fully connected. I'm not sure if these condos originally came with a washer and dryer, but whoever set it up meant for them to be stacked because the dryer duct sits pretty high up. The water connections are to the right of the washer and I had to put a bigger space between the wall and the washer than I'd like to accommodate them. I'm mulling getting a kit to recess them into the wall which would allow me to free up a further 2" and make the gap on either side even.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'd suggest making your cabinet 1/2" narrower than the space and adding a trim strip on the edges that can be scribed to the wall. Chances are great that the walls aren't perfectly flat and straight. Trying to fit a 60" cabinet into a space that was, at places, 59-3/4" was quite a challenge in our bathroom.
    You're spot on. That opening is definitely not flat nor straight, if I do 3" spacers around it'll match the plywood thickness and give me a bit more wiggle room which I'll definitely need.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Granted you could hook up the washer and dryer prior to installing the cabinets. Installing the cabinet above the washer & dryer after they are installed is possible though not easy. Keep in mind if you ever need to clean the dryer vent and you will, or replace the washer & dryer disconnecting the old and connecting the new ones will be very challenging.

And as Lee has said the flexible dryer vent is not the way to go. It collects a lot of lint because of the rough interior surface.
    I should've mentioned that the washer and dryer are connected already if thats what you mean. The dryer exhaust outlet sits pretty high on the wall so I think whoever set it up that way intended for them to be stacked. My thought was to install the upper cabinet first then slide the washer and dryer back in and do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    I would bring the cabinets 1" down from the furdown/ceiling. Add a trim strip to the top and I agree give yourself some scribe room on the side of the tall cabinet and upper above the appliance for scribe. Also are you going to be able to stand the tall unit up in the room without binding with your ceiling? Possibly have a separate toe kick. Scale the side of the tall cabinet on the side view from corner to corner and make sure you have room to stand them up after you dolly them into the room.

I like using 1 1/2" fillers just in case they need to be trimmed between walls. Trimming a 3/4" filler can be a challenge sometimes.

Bill
    I'll definitely be scribing the fillers because these walls are not straight. Is 3/4" just not enough to work with? I liked that thickness because it would match the cabinet ply thickness.

Make sure you have a way of getting to the water controls behind the washer..."stuff happens". And also have room for a drain pan under it, if applicable for your situation and building codes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On the router bit question. No it does not need to match plywood thickness. I use 1/2" straight cut bits all the time when dadoing 3/4'' ish dados. Make up a "router board". Take a piece of 1/4'' plywood and rip it slightly wider than half the width of your router base plus 2". Then rip any piece of scrap or plywood two inches wide. Screw the two pieces together using the two inch piece as the "fence". Install the straight bit of choice and run your router along the "fence "of the "router board". Now you make marks for the edge of your dado and align the guide,clamp and router the dado. Use a scrap of material from your project to mark the thickness from edge already routed,make new mark,move board and rout other side. You will end up with dados that fit perfectly the thickness of plywood used.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Make sure you have a way of getting to the water controls behind the washer..."stuff happens". And also have room for a drain pan under it, if applicable for your situation and building codes.
    It kind of annoys me because my water hookups are on the side of the washer, it does make it super convenient for access but they are visible. I've seen some kits to recess the fixtures into the wall and I may do that because it could free up 2" on the right and allow me to center it better. I'm with you on the drain pan, I need to find one that is less ugly. Mine is this off white plastic thing that looks like it's made from 80s computer plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    On the router bit question. No it does not need to match plywood thickness. I use 1/2" straight cut bits all the time when dadoing 3/4'' ish dados. Make up a "router board". Take a piece of 1/4'' plywood and rip it slightly wider than half the width of your router base plus 2". Then rip any piece of scrap or plywood two inches wide. Screw the two pieces together using the two inch piece as the "fence". Install the straight bit of choice and run your router along the "fence "of the "router board". Now you make marks for the edge of your dado and align the guide,clamp and router the dado. Use a scrap of material from your project to mark the thickness from edge already routed,make new mark,move board and rout other side. You will end up with dados that fit perfectly the thickness of plywood used.
    That's a great tip, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Marusic View Post
    I'm with you on the drain pan, I need to find one that is less ugly. Mine is this off white plastic thing that looks like it's made from 80s computer plastic.
    Ours is made of sheet metal...painted black with wood blocks to raise the washer up for easy service since the pan is fixed to the floor by the drain. It's also quite dirty. LOL Sorry about that!

IMG_7374.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It happened at our house and it wasn't just a drip or a washer contents. The hose burst. I had just walked in the door from the airport. If I was one minute later and it would have been much more disastrous. We now have stainless clad hoses.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!