Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy PPE

Blog Entries

Crazy PPE

My son goes back to work tomorrow on a project at Comerica Park in Detroit. Here is the PPE he will be required to wear. He is a union ironworker. B83E7905-CBDB-41F4-8B91-A39D3B339029.jpg
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-10-2020 at 8:16 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Does he fly an X-wing or Y-wing fighter?

A little googling found these high school football helmets...
    FBH.jpg

These helmets, and even 'normal' football helmets are probably more 'inconvenient' to wear than that full-on face/nose/mouth mask above, but few are the football players rallying against football helmets as infringing on their personal freedom

The PPE above and football helmets are designed to keep your chanced of dying to a minimum. This is a good thing
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    That may be the kind of PPE people will be wearing on airlines and other public transit if this covid-19 goes on much longer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Man I know he''ll be anxious to get that off after a shift of work. I feel like I'm suffocating after an hour with just an N95. Stay safe and healthy.

Does it have some sort of filter system or is it intended to serve some other purpose like keep you from touching your face?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    Does it have some sort of filter system or is it intended to serve some other purpose like keep you from touching your face?
    Good question, I just noticed in the pic (not my son), there was no mask. I presume some sort of mouth/nose covering is required. Not sure how the whole rig works. I will check tomorrow when he finishes the day.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-10-2020 at 9:50 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

How does that thing work with glasses?

Somebody has chosen the wrong mask. That mask does a terrific job of protecting the users eyes -- sealing all around -- but provides no protection for the users lungs. Covid attacks the lungs.

Honestly I would not want to wear that device working up in the air. Anything that restricts your vision in any way would be dangerous IMO. FWIW I worked high bay steel on a power plant many years ago and I remember having to watch closely as people walked past each other on a single beam and when material was being moved by cranes it was imperative to keep your eyes scanning for anything that would cause a fall. Add to that the upcoming hot weather which will make it much more difficult to remain attentive.

I have had my share of reactor containment entries that required just about every type of respirator that exists but I never had to work up high while wearing a protective device. I've worked through many shifts in extremely hot conditions where my mask filled with sweat that could not be drained in a contaminated area.

I seriously doubt that Union Ironworkers will wear that device, most won't even tie off at very high elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Somebody has chosen the wrong mask. That mask does a terrific job of protecting the users eyes -- sealing all around -- but provides no protection for the users lungs. Covid attacks the lungs.
    Yeah, I think someone is pulling someone's leg.

That was my take. It looks suspiciously like a paintball setup.

I saw someone at a store the other day who had safety glasses, gloves, and a face mask on. I think if you are that worried about COVID-19 that you might want to consider grocery delivery or grocery pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I saw someone at a store the other day who had safety glasses, gloves, and a face mask on. I think if you are that worried about COVID-19 that you might want to consider grocery delivery or grocery pickup.
    Todays stats:
    covid stats 5-10.jpg

United States, 1,360,000 confirmed covid cases divided by 80,562 deaths = 1 person dies every 16.88 confirmed cases-

Worldwide, 4,100,000 cases / 282,000 deaths, 1 dies in 14.54 cases...

We have 16 grandkids. By these odds, if all were to contract covid-19, one of them is likely to die... Me, I'm plenty worried...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Todays stats:
    covid stats 5-10.jpg

United States, 1,360,000 confirmed covid cases divided by 80,562 deaths = 1 person dies every 16.88 confirmed cases-

Worldwide, 4,100,000 cases / 282,000 deaths, 1 dies in 14.54 cases...

We have 16 grandkids. By these odds, if all were to contract covid-19, one of them is likely to die... Me, I'm plenty worried...
    Or another way to look at it is 0.4% of US population and 0.05% of the world population has 'it', or perhaps had it. ...give or take a hundredth or so.