Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Crazy PPE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,936
    Blog Entries
    11

    Crazy PPE

    My son goes back to work tomorrow on a project at Comerica Park in Detroit. Here is the PPE he will be required to wear. He is a union ironworker. B83E7905-CBDB-41F4-8B91-A39D3B339029.jpg
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-10-2020 at 8:16 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

  2. #2
    Does he fly an X-wing or Y-wing fighter?

  3. #3
    A little googling found these high school football helmets...
    FBH.jpg

    These helmets, and even 'normal' football helmets are probably more 'inconvenient' to wear than that full-on face/nose/mouth mask above, but few are the football players rallying against football helmets as infringing on their personal freedom

    The PPE above and football helmets are designed to keep your chanced of dying to a minimum. This is a good thing
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,582
    Blog Entries
    1
    That may be the kind of PPE people will be wearing on airlines and other public transit if this covid-19 goes on much longer.

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    493
    Man I know he''ll be anxious to get that off after a shift of work. I feel like I'm suffocating after an hour with just an N95. Stay safe and healthy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    232
    Does it have some sort of filter system or is it intended to serve some other purpose like keep you from touching your face?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,936
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    Does it have some sort of filter system or is it intended to serve some other purpose like keep you from touching your face?
    Good question, I just noticed in the pic (not my son), there was no mask. I presume some sort of mouth/nose covering is required. Not sure how the whole rig works. I will check tomorrow when he finishes the day.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-10-2020 at 9:50 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    9,155
    How does that thing work with glasses?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    9,155
    Somebody has chosen the wrong mask. That mask does a terrific job of protecting the users eyes -- sealing all around -- but provides no protection for the users lungs. Covid attacks the lungs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Hayes, Virginia
    Posts
    13,577
    Honestly I would not want to wear that device working up in the air. Anything that restricts your vision in any way would be dangerous IMO. FWIW I worked high bay steel on a power plant many years ago and I remember having to watch closely as people walked past each other on a single beam and when material was being moved by cranes it was imperative to keep your eyes scanning for anything that would cause a fall. Add to that the upcoming hot weather which will make it much more difficult to remain attentive.

    I have had my share of reactor containment entries that required just about every type of respirator that exists but I never had to work up high while wearing a protective device. I've worked through many shifts in extremely hot conditions where my mask filled with sweat that could not be drained in a contaminated area.

    I seriously doubt that Union Ironworkers will wear that device, most won't even tie off at very high elevations.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Somebody has chosen the wrong mask. That mask does a terrific job of protecting the users eyes -- sealing all around -- but provides no protection for the users lungs. Covid attacks the lungs.
    Yeah, I think someone is pulling someone's leg.

  12. #12
    That was my take. It looks suspiciously like a paintball setup.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    4,178
    I saw someone at a store the other day who had safety glasses, gloves, and a face mask on. I think if you are that worried about COVID-19 that you might want to consider grocery delivery or grocery pickup.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I saw someone at a store the other day who had safety glasses, gloves, and a face mask on. I think if you are that worried about COVID-19 that you might want to consider grocery delivery or grocery pickup.
    Todays stats:
    covid stats 5-10.jpg

    United States, 1,360,000 confirmed covid cases divided by 80,562 deaths = 1 person dies every 16.88 confirmed cases-

    Worldwide, 4,100,000 cases / 282,000 deaths, 1 dies in 14.54 cases...

    We have 16 grandkids. By these odds, if all were to contract covid-19, one of them is likely to die... Me, I'm plenty worried...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    N. Texas
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Todays stats:
    covid stats 5-10.jpg

    United States, 1,360,000 confirmed covid cases divided by 80,562 deaths = 1 person dies every 16.88 confirmed cases-

    Worldwide, 4,100,000 cases / 282,000 deaths, 1 dies in 14.54 cases...

    We have 16 grandkids. By these odds, if all were to contract covid-19, one of them is likely to die... Me, I'm plenty worried...
    Or another way to look at it is 0.4% of US population and 0.05% of the world population has 'it', or perhaps had it. ...give or take a hundredth or so.
    Molann an obair an saor.

    If Heaven ain't alot like Texas, I don't wanna go. - Hank Jr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •